Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed my 50k oil change on my 2014 XLE last week. The plastic filter housing had rounded over on the edges completely. Taking off the filter housing was a ridiculous monster of a task. Upon looking at it, I am amazed Toyota made such a bonehead design mistake. As an engineer, I would love to beat half to death the idiot of an engineer who designed a relatively high torque application with a plastic body. Anyway, if you haven't already done so, there is a full metal replacement for the plastic filter housing available on Amazom.com. The APDTY 028127 Oil Filter Aluminum Cap Housing with Tube Assortment was $26.00. Even though I wasn't due for an oil change a week after the last change, I went ahead and replaced my plastic one while it was relatively loose from being handled a week ago. It was still a ridiculous task to get off. The metal replacement went right on (only lost maybe 0.25 qt of oil just replacing filter housing). The assembly is made for several Toyota models with the same apparently stupid design, so it comes with three tubes that the filter cartridge slides over. You match the length of tube to the one in your RAV4, which turned out to be the middle length that was conveniently already installed on the filter housing. I threw the other two tubes in the garbage along with the stupid plastic filter housing. The filter cap now latches securely onto the full metal ribs of the housing. Problem hopefully solved. $26 VERY WELL spent!! I hope this helps someone before you try to take off a round plastic filter housing.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Yep - I would have thought that with its supposed engineering "expertise" Toyota would have designed a spin-on cartridge filter design by now. At least the V6s have a metal housing rather than plastic, and the metal one fits the 4 cyl. engines as well. But all of that is one reason I have the dealer do my oil changes after about 50 years of doing my own.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,892 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
As another option, if you purchase the proper oil filter housing removal tool, you will never have the problem of corners rounding off. I purchased the Motivx MX2320 for $25 on Amazon. This tool grabs both the corners of the housing and the web stiffeners on the housing. Of course, you still have to be careful about over-torque!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I gotta agree with jmailly, the filter cap tool above is awesome! After breaking the cheap cap wrenches from the likes of Autozone and O'Reillys at the spot welds I bought the one he shows off amazon. We have 3 cars with the 3.5 L engine (Sienna, Highlander and the Rav4) and its a great tool, highly recommended! Very well built and works flawlessly :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers. The plastic housing is definitely not the best idea Toyota has come up with.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...I completed my 50k oil change on my 2014 XLE last week. The plastic filter housing had rounded over on the edges completely. Taking off the filter housing was a ridiculous monster of a task...
Is this your first do-it-yourself oil change? If previous changes were done at the dealership, it would be interesting to know if they over-tightened and rounded the edges, and approximately how many oil changes have been done so far.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought an aluminum cap housing for my 2015 Rav off Ebay the first year I owned the vehicle. I also bought a special oil wrench that grabs the two slots on either side of the housing instead of the whole bottom. Everything is working nice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought an aluminum cap housing for my 2015 Rav off Ebay the first year I owned the vehicle. I also bought a special oil wrench that grabs the two slots on either side of the housing instead of the whole bottom. Everything is working nice.
I did the same, would recommend going this route.

OEM Aluminum assembly (Toyota #15620-31060) - eBay item 262794587617 ($17)

Tool - eBay item 172560553794 ($6)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts