Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
When I installed the other 9005 LED in the high beam, neither came on as DRLs. So I'm sure you're onto something about the wattage being used to power everything.
The DRL circuit in the RAV4.3 is somewhat like both high beam paths in series due to the normally closed configuration of DRL No. 3 Relay. When the halogen bulbs are in place, they act like resistors in series, so the 12V power gets reduced at each bulb, and there's less intensity.
Rectangle Slope Font Schematic Line

Just like any electronics, LED drivers need to have the proper voltage to turn on, but LED intensity is controlled by current flow, not voltage. Thus, some LED "bulbs" out there won't work as DRL or could work, but with flickering since their drivers are trying to compensate for the lower voltage.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Very cool and courteous invention! I saw a guy with headlights like this behind me in traffic tonight. I just thought he had really bad amazon LEDs. However his headlights were confused; one dark spot up and one dark spot down. I thought he might also be trying to make a US headlight pattern with custom adjustments as he was glaring the passenger mirror.
It's a similar concept that are used on D2R HID bulbs in reflector bowls such as this where you can see a band toward the base covering the light transmission. I had a set of the XD 9006 Xtreme Pro LED before and while it appeared great for me, but caused lots of uncontrolled light spread for drivers in front and oncoming.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When the high beams are on it does appear that I am able to see further in the distance. Some of that may be due to replacing the OEM high beam lights with the Sylvania's. Plus since both the high and low beams are on at that time, it may be that the new LED low beams are filling in some of the space that the OEM halogens couldn't. Again, might just be my imagination though. I have no scientific proof.

I'm sure it's on numerous other threads, but I can also confirm that switching to 9005 LEDs for high beams will work - as high beams - however the DRLs do not work. I actually replaced just one high beam with an LED and left the halogen in the other side. The LED lit up as a DRL (appeared to be at full wattage) and the halogen came on, but it was very, very dim. Had to really eyeball it to see a faint orange light. When I installed the other 9005 LED in the high beam, neither came on as DRLs. So I'm sure you're onto something about the wattage being used to power everything.
I also had my car running during the headlight swap and got 1 led drl as well :) but as you said the effect disappeared with 2 led high installed.

More fill with the led lows also makes sense

Reactions: Richsadams

·
Registered
2010 Limited V6 AWD
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now I just need a little physical therapy to recover from squeezing my arm down into the passenger side headlamp area. Now I know what pretzels feel like. Ouch! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Now I just need a little physical therapy to recover from squeezing my arm down into the passenger side headlamp area. Now I know what pretzels feel like. Ouch! :rolleyes:
Ouch! I did my low beams when I swapped housings (front end off). The high beams weren't too bad with the car assembled as I did upgrade those after the housing upgrade.

Reactions: Richsadams
21 - 27 of 27 Posts