Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My XSE hybrid is rolling on BF Goodrich KO2 tires, sized at 245/65/r17. If you have similar tires, which PSI are you using for the following situations?
  • everyday pavement use; and
  • off-roading adventures.
I’ve only seen info regarding Wranglers and trucks as well as some older RAV4s that use an older model of this tire. I figure this topic will be useful for many, esp after the TRD release. Thanks!

·
Registered
789 Posts
You will need to do the chalk test to determine optimal on pavement pressure. Try google - but here is one I found quickly to get you started. https://www.intercotire.com/using_chalk_method_determining_psi

Your looking for a chalk mark that is even across the face of the tire - meaning the tire isn't crowned.

For off road, well true off road anyway, the less air the better traction - until the point you loose a bead of course. I assume with the Rav your talking moderate off roading - so play with it a bit to you find what you like. 15-20PSI is usually considered a good starting point in the off road world, although hard core off road often run significantly lower than that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
As a role of thumb, many folks use the wheel diameter as the minimum 100% safe tire pressure for offroad. So, 17ish PSI would pretty much guarantee you won't lose a bead without basically crashing into something. I have run as low as 12 PSI with my 16s, but also prefer high-teens.

For street, a good starting pt is whatever is on the door sticker, but the chalk test is effective.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts