Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I have read a lot about this in many threads, but still, I could not get to any conclusion about the right pressure for best MPG and longevity of the tyres etc.,. Hence this one again.

Front Tyres

Rear Tyres

Spare Tyre

Howe often to check tyre pressure?

Many Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Open the driver's door and read the sticker that tells you the psi for all tires. It is also in the owner's manual. Check monthly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RTexasF, thank you, I have seen it as 32Psi but people are using like 34, 35 and some have gone to 39PSi in the front and 2 less in the rear. I wanted to know why they have increased 2 or more Psi....

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
naturoses said:
RTexasF, thank you, I have seen it as 32Psi but people are using like 34, 35 and some have gone to 39PSi in the front and 2 less in the rear. I wanted to know why they have increased 2 or more Psi....
Better mileage.

A little better handling.

Compensate for upcoming cold when pressure will naturally drop.

Save wheels better if you hit a pot hole.

Allow more time between fills.

Maybe better tire life.

On the other hand, the tire transmits more road irregularity, such as expansion joints.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I run 36 front and 34 rear. Wears pretty evenly for me. I have 46k+ miles and the tires look like they are about to survive to 55k.

I check tires when every time after an oil change (which I get like every 2-3 months). If I see large discrepancies between fills, then I would check more frequently. As for spare, I check that every time I do all the other tires.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
naturoses said:
I see. After much experimentation I run 35 all around. Steering is more responsive and cornerning seems more crisp without sacrificing ride comfort.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
After a bunch of experimentation, I'm running 36.5 PSI front, 35.5 PSI rear, and 38 PSI in the spare. It is the highest pressure I can run without impact harshness getting to the point where it is intrusive and irritating. It gives crisper handling, higher traction limits, and slightly better fuel economy.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
rav4two said:
After a bunch of experimentation, I'm running 36.5 PSI front, 35.5 PSI rear, and 38 PSI in the spare. It is the highest pressure I can run without impact harshness getting to the point where it is intrusive and irritating. It gives crisper handling, higher traction limits, and slightly better fuel economy.
Nope, I think you can go a couple of more psi in the spare with minimal discomfort ;-)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
friendly_jacek said:
rav4two said:
Nope, I think you can go a couple of more psi in the spare with minimal discomfort ;-)
Nuh uhh. . . The added weight of any extra air molecules upsets the delicate handling balance achieved by exactly 38.0000 PSI in the spare. :D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
rav4two said:
friendly_jacek said:
rav4two said:
Nuh uhh. . . The added weight of any extra air molecules upsets the delicate handling balance achieved by exactly 38.0000 PSI in the spare. :D
Fill the spare tire with helium! :idea:

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Myxalplyx said:
rav4two said:
friendly_jacek said:
rav4two said:
Fill the spare tire with helium! :idea:
Hydrogen is better! Besides it will give you an active armor protection.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Zeoth said:
friendly_jacek said:
Huh? What's active armor protection?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
friendly_jacek said:
Zeoth said:
friendly_jacek said:
Huh? What's active armor protection?
Oh no you don't!!! That's MY parking space!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks All, At the moment, I am doing like RtexasF which is 35 +/- this side or that side because it is not digital where I go to become perfect like for example 35.5 Psi...

Love you all

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts