Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm all set to visit dealers today, but my preferred dealer just told me over the phone that I can't get the Base model with side curtain airbags. He said it's only available in the Limited. I asked, "Are you saying it's impossible?" and he said "That's what the sales manager said." And he's not just talking about what's on the lot. He's saying I'd have to order anything with the side airbags (ordering is fine with me). But that the side bags on the Base just aren't available anywhere.

Another area dealer told me the same thing a couple of days ago.

For me, the side airbags are a deal-breaker, and this development sort of pisses me off. Am I being upsold to a Limited? What's the deal?

After waiting all these months for the 06's, this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I'm gonna go research CR-Vs. Any advice?

Thx!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Side air bags are an option for all models. Find another dealer or you can try doing the Internet quote thing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well the side airbags are a theoretical option, however only certain option packages are shipped to certain areas of the country. Go on toyota.com and download an e-brochure. If you type in your zip code, the first few pages will list the option packages that are available for each trim level in your part of the country. If you decline to enter your zip code and choose the "generic" e-brochure, you will see every possible option package. Don't know if a dealer special order something destined for a different area. In my brochure (NY/NJ), it shows side air bags optional on the base 4x4 but not available on the base 4x2 (and mandatory on the sport 4x2 and optional on the sport 4x4).

P

·
0 Posts
That is a B.S. answer he gave you. I just came from a local dealer. Base 4x4 w/side air.

M

·
0 Posts
thats crazy. it even states than they are available in the big brocure for the rav4. Its okay I had a dealer tell me I could not have 3rd row seat and a sunroof and that was incorrect also. dont give up keep checking around.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here in So Cal, I got an option package on our base 4x2 that includes 3rd row seat, roof rails, 17" wheels and the passenger airbags/side mounted airbags.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before seeing most of these response posts, I did go to the dealer. It was strange. He definitely wasn't trying to upsell me. He said that he anticipated they'd be able to get the Base with side-airbags in about 30 days. He said it would have to be as part of a package. The guy actually told me that he thought there'd be more wiggle room on the price at that point, too--mostly because there'll be more of 'em on the lot and the V6 will be out. He said that now, they're selling all the RAVs for $500 below MSRP.

He's sort of an odd guy, and acknowledged that the Limited has a lot of stuff that I probably don't want. So, if claiming unavailability of side-air bags wasn't a ploy to sell me something that day (and the guy almost seemed determined not to sell me something that day), what's it all about? Again, another dealer who I spoke with on the phone said that he couldn't get me the Base with side airbags, and claimed that he'd searched throughout our region and into Pennsylvania.

I'm definitely going to take everyone's advice and consult another dealer--I'm tired of waiting. But, while I can't figure out this guy's game, I still think he's got more integrity than most. Fact is, if he had tried to sell me a Limited that day...who knows? :wink:

·
Registered
654 Posts
edwinston said:
Again, another dealer who I spoke with on the phone said that he couldn't get me the Base with side airbags, and claimed that he'd searched throughout our region and into Pennsylvania.
Hmm, based a few simple searches, I found a few dealers in the PA area that list Base models with side curtain airbags. You didn't exactly mention what your region was so I went with PA.

Conicelli Toyota in Conshohocken has 9/10 Base that have side curtain airbags. The only Base that didn't was in Red. They actually have a lot of color options. Conicelli also has another location in Springfield.

Here's a link to the first one I pulled up.
http://conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/New-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=8712323

Peruzzi in Hatfield has a white one with SCA. Carousel Toyota doesn't have its inventory online but they have a very large inventory so you might also want to give them a shot.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts