Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 2018 RAV 4 will have the new 2.5 liter engine? From what I have read, the new engine will have approximately 192 foot pounds of torque with over 200 horsepower in naturally aspirated configuration. This could be why the 2018 tow package is being rated at over 3,000 pounds. I'm looking to upgrade from my 2014 Limited in the next year and this could be the reason to keep me in the RAV family.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Some info from another source:

"The first Dynamic Force engine is the replacement for the company’s stalwart 2.5-liter inline-four.
While metric displacement hasn’t changed, the wholly new mill adopts direct injection and a host of friction-reducing measures to achieve a thermal efficiency rating of 40 percent (up from the current 35 percent). This, plus high-speed combustion technology and a variable control system, boosts maximum output to 202 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque, up from the present 178 hp and 170 lb-ft. The 2.5’s compression rises to 13:1 from 10.4:1."

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would bet that almost all that HP and torque increase comes from the increased compression ratio. That's a huge increase in that department. The other technologies involved simply allow the increased CR to happen without knock.

·
Registered
184 Posts
From the article:

"powered by the same 176-hp 2.5-liter four-cylinder found in today’s non-hybrid RAV4 models, the RAV4 Adventure’s Tow Prep package brings an upgraded radiator, an engine oil cooler, and a transmission cooler" Looks like same engine

·
Registered
210 Posts
Right... I seem to recall that Adventure higher towing rating was attributed to "upgraded radiator, an engine oil cooler, and a transmission cooler".

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Rav4 LE AWD ,
13 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2018 RAV 4 will have the new 2.5 liter engine? From what I have read, the new engine will have approximately 192 foot pounds of torque with over 200 horsepower in naturally aspirated configuration. This could be why the 2018 tow package is being rated at over 3,000 pounds. I'm looking to upgrade from my 2014 Limited in the next year and this could be the reason to keep me in the RAV family.
The Engine and Please correct me if i'm wrong (LORD I HOPE I'M WRONG) But from what I have heard and read the 2.5l is a Subaru item...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts