Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have suggestions on how to reduce the acceleration under ACC back to the set speed? If slowed more that 15kmh(10mph) by slow vehicle before overtaking the engine revs considerably - even in ECO mode. This really reduces fuel consumption and the only work around is to reduce the ACC's set speed and then progressively increase.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just hit cancel when that happens and then manually accelerate to the speed I want and arm it again. There is no setting to reduce the acceleration.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
If speed drops too far, it is likely due to a hill or wind loading.
Pop the transmission out of overdrive and the engine will be able to maintain the set speed without downshifting to 4th.

This is very common on 4 cylinder vehicles.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Anyone have suggestions on how to reduce the acceleration under ACC back to the set speed? If slowed more that 15kmh(10mph) by slow vehicle before overtaking the engine revs considerably - even in ECO mode. This really reduces fuel consumption and the only work around is to reduce the ACC's set speed and then progressively increase.
Assuming you refer to the HV model:
Let it rev, its very efficient. But if you're really concerned about it just don't resume speed till you accelerate on your own. You're splitting hairs on the fuel consumption though, the difference is pretty small.

At lower speeds it doesn't do this, its a pretty gradual resume. so it seems the system is making these decisions based on set speed.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I don't have a HV RAV, so this may not work for you, but in most vehicles with ACC, the ACC will disengage if you put any pressure on the accelerator.

I use this technique when I want to close the gap in preparation for passing. I also use it to quickly get back to my normal speed when the vehicle in front of me slows down and pulls off the road, because I find ACC accelerates too slowly on my vehicle.

As long as your foot is on the accelerator ACC should disengage and allow you to creep back to your original speed if that is what you want to do. Remove your foot from the accelerator once you reach the pre-set speed, and normal ACC will resume.

NOTE: If you are very close to the car in front waiting for an opportunity to pass, don't remove your foot from the accelerator because when ACC wakes up it may discover that you are too close and apply the brakes.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
If speed drops too far, it is likely due to a hill or wind loading.
Pop the transmission out of overdrive and the engine will be able to maintain the set speed without downshifting to 4th.

This is very common on 4 cylinder vehicles.
This is the Hybrid section so it has a CVT not an automatic transmission.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The OP's profile says it's a 2WD Base, so not a Hybrid I don't think, but it's hard telling being in Belgium.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Well there is that! If it's in the wrong area that mucks up the whole works.
Moved to 4.4 general. By the way what is ACC????

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Well there is that! If it's in the wrong area that mucks up the whole works.
Moved to 4.4 general. By the way what is ACC????
I think they're talking about Adaptive Cruise Control. Some call it radar cruise control. It's supposed to maintain a set distance from the car in front of you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have had similar questions about ACC in our HV. It seems that it's really quick to back us off if someone say slows down significantly in front of us but as they accelerate back up to speed, the system is very cautious about coming back up to speed and does it gradually (this behavior is appreciated). My gripe, and it sounds like the gripe of OP as well, is if the ACC system no longer detects a vehicle in front of us, say a we're behind a slower vehicle in the passing lane and they move over, our car basically "floors it" to get back up to speed and the hybrid power gauge goes all the way up into the high end of the PWR range of the gauge. That's not as bad as going around a bend in the highway behind a slower moving vehicle with ACC managing our speed where ACC doesn't detect the vehicle in front of us anymore (we never lose visual sight and it's not even a very sharp bend, the car in front just got out of the radar "beam") so our car floors it to get us back up to speed then immediately recaptures the vehicle in front of us and quickly backs us off. I've actually stopped using ACC during my commute and just use normal/manual cruise so I can better predict what the vehicle is going to do, or if the ACC backs us off to match the vehicle in front of us, I back off the "set speed" to be just a few MPH over the speed we're traveling at so as to not have it very quickly take off if it loses sight of the vehicle in front of us. If it gradually came back up to speed after the vehicle it's backing us off from is no longer visible, like it does when a vehicle it's monitoring starts to pick up the pace, it wouldn't be such a big issue.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
From the owner's manual:

Situations unsuitable for dynamic radar cruise control

Do not use dynamic radar cruise control in any of thefollowing situations.

Doing so may result in inappropriate speed control and could cause an accident

resulting in death or serious injury.

Roads where there are pedestrians, cyclists, etc.

In heavy traffic

On roads with sharp bends

On winding roads

On slippery roads, such as those covered with rain, ice orsnow

On steep downhills, or where there are sudden changesbetween sharp up
and down gradients
Vehicle speed may exceed the set speed when driving down a steep hill.

At entrances to freeways and highways

When weather conditions are bad enough that they may prevent the sensors
from detecting correctly (fog, snow, sandstorm, heavy rain,etc.)

When there is rain, snow, etc. on the front surface of theradar sensor or
camera sensor

In traffic conditions that require frequent repeatedacceleration and deceleration

When your vehicle is towing a trailer or during emergency towing

When an approach warningbuzzer is heard often

·
Registered
87 Posts
These aren't even "sharp" or what I'd even call a winding road, the speed limit stays at 70MPH but it's just enough for the ACC's beam to briefly (<1sec) lose track of the vehicle in front. Guess it was only built for exactly straight roads? It would still be nice to not have it "floor" the accelerator to get us back up to speed even if you mean to to back to the set speed since the vehicle in front is no longer there (ie lane change). In sport mode? Sure. In Eco mode? Not so much.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I think they're talking about Adaptive Cruise Control. Some call it radar cruise control. It's supposed to maintain a set distance from the car in front of you.
I was interpreting it as "Accel".

Is Adaptive available on the base?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts