Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently this part should be available in a few weeks. Can somebody clarify exactly what this part does and how you install it? My understanding is that this T connector should allow a person to hook up trailer wiring without splicing and without running a line to the fuse box - so it's made for dummies like me. So, do you tap into some existing wiring (like the rear lights)? I'm hoping that this is an easy solution to the trailer wiring dilemma, otherwise I'm going to have to pay somebody to do this for me (which I'm finding out isn't cheap). I don't need anything fancy like the ability to recharge batteries or trailer brakes, just for once-in-a-blue-moon trailering of a small 6ft trailer and a small fishing boat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I did a little more research and it appears that this isn't as easy as I had hoped. Here's the install instructions:

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/pdf/N118412.pdf

Apparently you still have to route a power wire from the rear taillights area to the battery. I'm not exactly clear on how easy or difficult that is, i.e. how do you route the wire so that it's not seen and how do you get it through the firewall...they don't really get in to that. Also, if you hook something up to your battery could you run into warranty issues with Toyota?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts