Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have OEM 16" aluminium wheels. I need to refinish them over this winter. I have Sand blasting equipment and a booth made for small items like this. I'll be using this to do them in but I'm wondering on the finish. I can go polished or painted. With the paint I would be looking for something new. If you have any good suggestions I would try them and gladly get back to you on the result. I am purchasing Steel for the winter this year and saving my refinished rims for the summer from now on. The road Salt is hell on the finish. I like the look of my OEM and I'm happy keeping them. I may go for a gun-metal color or something else along those lines. I have all the spray equiptment to do the job so that is not an issue. Let me know. Thanks. M. :?:

WOW a Year later now. Fast foward to the end to see the Result.

T

·
0 Posts
how about sand blast the wheel for a brush aluminum look with gunmetal color.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to sand blast them but I want an easy to clean finish. I really like the gunmetal look though. I would like a smooth finish.

Powder coat gives an awesome finish but I don't really want the expense. Here it costs a little more. I was looking for a finish I could do my self.

If I send them out to be coated I may do a plated finish. Its about the same price here. I'll have to see what my budget looks like.

What do you guys think a Copper Plated finish would look like on an all black Rav?

·
Registered
682 Posts
didn't u say once that you're in the tyre/wheel business? why dont u use your contacts and get the wheels done for low price?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"My price" is still too pricey. Like I said I can have them plated for the same price as powder coat which they usually charge a lot more for so I guess that is a good deal. I'm all about sense of accomplishment and a job well done. I want to be able to say "I did that." because it feels great to make something that is chipped-up crappy looking into something awesome and new looking. M.

L

·
0 Posts
For me the proper solution is what ultima 16888 proposed you. I don’t know the cost but for sure looks very nice and it’s easy to clean.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is an old one guys but I thought I would give you an update. I'm about to start the refinishing this week. I'll get some pics for a "How- To" for others that want to attempt this.

Have decided between the O.E. finish with a polished lip and the gunmetal with a polished lip. Will make a decision when I see it on one. :?

Later. M.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Marcutio, If you have enough painting experience you can do it no problem.

Do you have a friend with a compressor and spray gun? You can buy the paint from an Auto parts store.
It can be done with cans but because of the small nozzle it takes more skill and the quality is not as good as the 2 part paint, with clear coat finish.

In either case you need to make a spray booth out of something like cardboard. If you are going to vent the area put a furnace filter on the rooms intake. Of coarse it has to be in a room with no flame.
Then, you need to have a dedicated clean drying area.
Both areas should be heated for best results.
It’s much better to do this in the summer time.

Have you considered matching the OEM Deep Shiny Black? The result would be similar to having a silver Rav with Silver Rims.

I put a pic in my album so can see my spray booth. It however is too small to do the 16” rims. But it has sufficient filters for catching the paint particles before exiting the building.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hey Mark.....missed this thread first time around....so will offer an opinion this time...... :wink:
Being old school, I always liked the 911 Porsche wheels with the dark centres and spokes, highlighted by the polished lip; much like you're contemplating......
I like the gunmetal c/w polished with some body colors......b-b-but I dunno about with a black body. IMO ......gloss black c/w large polished lip would really grab attention and compliment your body color....................just my preference........
I presume you've done your homework.....goggle pic search for vehicles with black bodies......or photoshop your RAV with different wheels......
Whatever your final choice, good luck with it, lookin' forward to the pics in your album.... :shock:

Mionee......great workshop......you can operate with that much lighting!!!!......nice paint booth.... My driveway gravel is still silver from painting my steelies there........ :roll:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Marcutio, i missed that you have the spray equip. so you should do just fine. Just make sure to follow all the proper steps and let the paint dry longer than Manufactures Suggested time between coats.
Especially if you are going to do a clear coat finish ontop.

Bluenoser, thanks for the comments. I had to move 2 water lines and one air duct to get all four light panels in. :shock: It meets basic requirement but I have the special Walden light (mounted to table) for really detailed work. I will sell that and get a Dental light because 5 minutes after looking in the 4 X magnifine glass my head spins. :? As for your gravel. Last summer I laquiered 8 doors white on my driveway and build a big cardboard booth. We had to run quickly run them in the house like big Pizza Boxes. :lol:
At least Silver rocks should look nice. :wink:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll eventually post pics of my shop but I'm still in the process of setting it up because we bought this house only last summer. I build custom furniture so spraying is nothing new. I sometimes do it in my sleep.

I had another workshop in Newfoundland and I had all the gear set up there to do what I need. I have everything I need here but I still am finishing my sandblasting cabinet.

I will have a spraybooth and the ventilation is not a problem.

I like the idea of black rims with a polished lip, infact I had a picture in my album but nobody commented on it so I took them off of there. May still go with gunmetal though just to be different. I'll mess around with Photo shop for a while and see.

Thanks guys. Later. M.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hey Mark.....since originally posting to your thread I've noticed a lot of the black Liberty's have black spokes with a polished lip......I think they look "MEAN"!!! Of course being unique has it's perks as well......ie: gunmetal......

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been doing alot of looking at different combinations. I'm going to do one black and see if I like it. If not I'll try the gunmetal. I know it sounds like alot of work but with the right gear its really not that bad. Have to see what that style will look like on my rig in that color if you know what I mean.

I really like the look of the black wheels with black body but the wheels don't stand out much at all. I'm not sure about it yet. Let you know soon.

Been delayed a week on account of a last minute order I decided to fill, you know the furniture thing I do. :roll:

Later. M.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Black wheels show dirt way more than silver wheels so you'll be cleaning them everyday if you're fussy about clean looks.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Good point!!!!.......that's why I bought a silver RAV Chili although the wife and I really liked the black.... :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got super busy this winter unexpectedly. Not a whole lot of time to get the wheels done.

The big push is on now and I am just finishing up the "blasting process. Don't realize how bad they really are until you get into it. They were worse than I thought. One bubble opens up a whole patch of decay underneath that was sure to chip off.

The original "Powder Coat" on there is pretty thick for all those wondering. Would be a long process if done by hand if you're contemplating it.

I used a fine glass bead for blasting inside a homemade cabinet solely designed for this job. (I think I can find more uses for it though)

Check out the WWW at the bottom. I have where I am so far there. Page 2

Later. M.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gun-Metal (will have polished lip) or Silver (Aluminum Stock)

Did a test spray to see what would look the best. I'm already leaning toward the Gun-Metal. Great coverage and looks deep with the clear on it.

Comment?

M.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Kinda hard to tell yet, even with the pic blownup.....but definitely not the silver.......gunmetal looks cool especially with a polished rim.....but I'm still leaning toward the gloss black with polished rim.....but I think you know that :wink: :roll:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are done!

Finally I have completed the process of making my old wheels new again. How do you like the greenish yellow?

Important Tip!! You may see that the important parts are covered inside the lug nut holes and the back flange (part that sits against the hub). This is important because you really don't want any paint in between the lug and the rim because the paint can negatively affect the torque and work its way out to cause a loose lug or worse..... a "wheel-off situation". Catastrophic lose of a wheel. Keep those parts covered so you ensure a good seat between parts.

Kidding of course about the color. Went with the "Gun metal metallic" well really its called Graphite Metallic but I think the first one has a cooler ring to it. There is a polished lip but you won't see it until I get my tires on the wheels again this weekend. Should look pretty good all together. I am happy with how they turned out. It took a while because I had many many distractions over the last few months.

Recommend it to anyone to do it themselves. Total cost was under $50 I believe but the result was well worth it.

Here is a glimpse. I'll get a better picture later for you guys.

Later. M.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts