Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My previous hybrid was a plug-in hybrid, Ford C-max Energi. One setting I really liked was it automatically engaging regen when taking my foot off the accelerator. I could actually drive a lot while rarely touching the brake pedal. Any way for a hybrid RAV4 to do that?

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,539 Posts
My previous hybrid was a plug-in hybrid, Ford C-max Energi. One setting I really liked was it automatically engaging regen when taking my foot off the accelerator. I could actually drive a lot while rarely touching the brake pedal. Any way for a hybrid RAV4 to do that?
The RAV4 hybrid will automatically go to regeneration mode when you let up on the accelerator. You don't even need to take your foot off the accelerator. Any time the car thinks you want to go a bit slower than present speed (very light accelerator pressure), it will go into regeneration mode. When going down a hill and no foot on the accelerator, the car will try, through regeneration, to keep the present speed or slow a bit. The computer that controls regeneration/acceleration/braking is very smart. Even light braking will not apply the friction brakes, but slow the car with additional regeneration. That is why the brakes on a hybrid will last for what seems forever. If going down a very long hill and the traction battery is full due to regeneration, the computer will kick in the ICE to provide compression braking, thus saving wear on the friction brakes.

There are several displays you can select on the MID and the radio screen that shows when the car is in regeneration mode. One of the easiest to access is pressing the home screen on the radio. There is another, more detailed display available on the MID that shows each motor and the power flow into and out of that motor to/from the wheels; it is fascinating to watch that display and the seamless transition of power flow into and out of the battery and ICE.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yeah I have a hard time understanding op post. that is how toyota hybrids work. regen at every second of opportunity to do so.

2022 rav4 hybrid (not prime)
literally all the time, if I lift off the throttle, engine stops and it immediately starts to charge battery.

on surface streets, uphill, on interstate. if I lift off gas that little graphic display of 'power routing'
immediately goes green arrow to battery (one or more MG is charging battery)

the only time I've seen it not do that is... very low charge, or if I am asking for heat in cabin,
and engine is not hot enough....the engine will stay running. but that is super rare.

99.99% the time....foot off gas, engine stops right away. and this thing coasts pretty well too, barely
any slowdown*

*unless I have dynamic cruise control on then it uses motor reluctance a lot harder to maintain speed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The RAV4 hybrid will automatically go to regeneration mode when you let up on the accelerator. You don't even need to take your foot off the accelerator. Any time the car thinks you want to go a bit slower than present speed (very light accelerator pressure), it will go into regeneration mode. When going down a hill and no foot on the accelerator, the car will try, through regeneration, to keep the present speed or slow a bit. The computer that controls regeneration/acceleration/braking is very smart. Even light braking will not apply the friction brakes, but slow the car with additional regeneration. That is why the brakes on a hybrid will last for what seems forever. If going down a very long hill and the traction battery is full due to regeneration, the computer will kick in the ICE to provide compression braking, thus saving wear on the friction brakes.

There are several displays you can select on the MID and the radio screen that shows when the car is in regeneration mode. One of the easiest to access is pressing the home screen on the radio. There is another, more detailed display available on the MID that shows each motor and the power flow into and out of that motor to/from the wheels; it is fascinating to watch that display and the seamless transition of power flow into and out of the battery and ICE.
I will definitely pay closer attention, but my RAV4 hybrid seems to coast freely until I touch the brake pedal. With my C-max I would feel very strong feedback, along with it charging the battery. I believe I see no charge until I touch the brake pedal on my RAV4. Again, I will pay closer attention and verify. On the other hand, when on a downgrade with cruise set, I can feel the regen holding the vehicle at the set speed. That's for the feedback.

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD with Advanced Technology Package.
42 Posts
Update: I just took my RAV4 for a drive to refresh my memory. Just as I thought, it does a mild regen when taking my foot off the accelerator, showing about 1/4" on the charge gauge at 50mph. With a gentle press of the brake pedal the charge goes to maximum. My original question was intended to ask, is there a setting that would automatically engage max regen when releasing the accelerator? Not a big deal, I was just curious since my C-max did that. It's probably a feature more suitable for a plug in hybrid where there is a substatially bigger battery pack. I was often able to slow to a crawl without ever touching the brake.

·
Registered
426 Posts
No it sadly has no setting for max regen.
Max regen is also somewhere around 3/4 in the charge range, pressing the brake pedal any further will engage the hydraulic brakes.
This is the way it has worked since the early Toyota hybrid days.

·
Registered
95 Posts
^ in the hybrid, the only way to do that (I think) is use radar cruise,
and hold the set- button to decrease speed... it will use max reluctance to slow you down before it hits disc brakes

that's not really any way to drive a car though....CHG needle at CHG line for most of that depending on how fast and how far you hold it

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD with Advanced Technology Package.
42 Posts
^ in the hybrid, the only way to do that (I think) is use radar cruise,
and hold the set- button to decrease speed... it will use max reluctance to slow you down before it hits disc brakes

that's not really any way to drive a car though....CHG needle at CHG line for most of that depending on how fast and how far you hold it
Yes, that is how it is working for me. Cruise, even without radar, will use regen to hold speed on downgrades.

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
210 Posts
What johnasmith is referring to, is something that most of you have never experienced. In the EV world "B" mode as its called, is a significantly more aggressive regenerative setting. When you pull your foot off the accelerator, the car basically starts braking. Not with the brakes of course, but its as if you put your foot on the brake and pushed.

B mode, when mastered, allows for single pedal driving under many circumstances. Even in city driving, just letting off the accelerator pedal starts slowing the car enough. Its really just very aggressive regenerative settings.

My Prime certainly does NOT have it. I highly doubt the hybrids do either.

My Leaf has it, but badly done. Its not aggressive enough, so you still need to brake often. And when you want to coast, say you see a red light in the distance and you want to coast for a while, slowing down slowly, the darn car slows down too fast. Just not helpful.

But it would appear johnasmith liked his Ford Cmax with it.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
B mode is absolutely not intended to be used under normal driving. Toyota explicitly advices against it.

That being said, when you use radar cruise it basically does the same when decelerating for another vehicle, it uses max regen and if needed it also uses MG1 to spin the ICE as a simulated engine brake (using the ICE as an air pump).

·
Registered
95 Posts
the hybrids coast far too freely when off throttle, even while generating, and our 'B' mode is the manual shift which starts engine braking and doesn't
seem to increase electric reluctance, so that added braking is kinda wasted compressing air in the engine and not all going to charging

·
Registered
426 Posts
The big difference between a normal hybrid (or even a PHEV) and a BEV is that due to the smaller batteries of the hybrids the maximum current it can be charged with is lower which means less regen power.
Especially the normal hybrids suffer from this because the battery is very quickly completely full.
When using an OBD2 adapter and the Hybrid Assistant app you can see how much regen power is available (if the battery is getting charged up the available regen power goes down).

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here is your Regen Charge area.

Going down a hill, I try to modulate the brake peddle pressure to get max regen w/o adding the friction brake.

As a side note ( I have 2 RAV4's.... a hybrid and a Prime )

When the sport mode is selected in the Prime, I can feel a LOT more regen braking than the Hybrid.. Maybe its specific to the Prime or older ECM SW in my 2019 Limited Hybrid.

In the Hybrid, the Mode wheel does nothing to change the amount of regen felt.

Font Parallel Circle Number Pattern

·
Registered
95 Posts
make sense that the prime with liion can take more charge current, whilst the hybrid with nimh can't. explains the freer coasting feeling when it is regen on hybrid vs prime

1 - 20 of 31 Posts