Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to this forum but I'm on my third RAV4 and this one is a Hybrid Limited. There is much to like about the car but I've already had a major malfunction to the front camera safety system (replaced over two days) and now one thing is really grating on me (so much so that I am thinking of taking a loss and returning it given how much highway driving I do): the regenerative braking (motor?) noise that occurs ONLY between about 50 and 65 mph at low volumes when the brakes are not applied and high volume when brakes are applied. I complained and the dealer took me out in the ALE Hybrid and I heard the same noise but MUCH quieter. It is best likened to a loud squeal that I get is the regeneration but really should it be so noticeable that it feels like nails on a chalkboard? I want to love this car but I can't. I can easily capture audio if anyone is interested. Toyota is telling me this is normal but the head of the service department who has worked on hybrids for 20 years thinks it is too loud to be considered normal (he considers the ALE noise reasonable). I have also seen it mentioned in a few places as asides in the forums but while I get that it may be normal why do I NOT hear it in my friends' Prius, Highlander, or Camry hybrid? Does everyone just accept this and I should get over myself? Since Toyota is considering this normal, I have no recourse but to live with it and hope some day they address it (I have case numbers all over the place) or sell it and move on from the RAVs and Toyota forever in disappointment. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Doesn't sound normal to me, I've never heard anything like that in mine, although I'm old and haven't had good hearing for many years, but my wife has excellent hearing(unfortunately!! :frown) and has never mentioned it, she drives a Prius.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about another dealer but I should have been clearer, when I say Toyota, I mean Toyota. I went out with the regional tech and customer service directors who gave me pretty much "this is normal deal with it" responses that both felt dismissive and, well, helpless because really there is no data on this. My guess is I'd have to move out of the region to get a second opinion that went to someone else. That seems a bit extreme.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, capture audio and post. So the noise is inside the car or outside?
To be clear, if I am driving 60 mph and let go of the accelerator, there is little noise.
If I brake at 60 mph the noise is very loud?
I shall try that.
But I haven't heard anything as annoying as nails-on-a-chalkboard.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Haven't had mine too long but I have been on the hi way a few times and didn't notice anything I'd call out of the ordinary. Hope you find the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noise

To be clear, if I am driving 60 mph and let go of the accelerator, there is little noise.
I shall try that.
Been a bit windy here which makes the interior cabin extra noisy for capturing the sound clearly but I will soon when my wife can record. I cannot say exactly where the noise is coming from simply because the speeds prevent me from being exact but my guess is it is coming from inside the electric motor and sounds louder from the outside when it is against a barrier and because there is really very little ground clearance. As for the 60mph: ALWAYS when the brake is depressed. When the car is just slowing itself without braking it only makes the sound if it is in regeneration mode (meaning the red arrow is pointing from engine to battery and not battery to engine).

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have almost 500 miles on mine and the only time that I hear the noise is when I am breaking to come to a complete stop. I have had it on the highway twice for two hours and have driven it at varying speeds but not to exceed 70 mph.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Someone this unhappy with a car needs to get rid of it. Be nice to the dealer and work out a trade deal, but expect it to hurt.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Someone this unhappy with a car needs to get rid of it. Be nice to the dealer and work out a trade deal, but expect it to hurt.
This wouldn't be wise. Test drive other hybrids. If yours is making a noise that is clearly not made by other new RAVs, get it fixed while it is under warranty and don't settle for anything less. If they can't fix it, force them to buy it back at full cost, been there and done it with a Nissan with 2200 miles on it. Just be persistent and keep your documentation in order.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought about another dealer but I should have been clearer, when I say Toyota, I mean Toyota. I went out with the regional tech and customer service directors who gave me pretty much "this is normal deal with it" responses that both felt dismissive and, well, helpless because really there is no data on this. My guess is I'd have to move out of the region to get a second opinion that went to someone else. That seems a bit extreme.
Where are you located?
(I'm hoping it's not my "region" since both the Regional Director and local dealer sound like A-holes).

Agree with the posts above: go test-drive another new RAV4H. Does it make the same noise? If not, they need to fix yours at no cost to you, or buy it back from you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With radio around 9 at highway speeds in braking (30 something's) we hear nothing. Noticeable noise with Windows down at low speeds under braking, but nothing to complain about.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can only suggest having it fixed and not letting them dismiss you until it is too late. I have over 6000 miles on mine with lots of highway driving over the last 3 months and nothing too loud to report. I actually kinda like that sound, but if it is loud enough for you to take issue definitely get it fixed. sorry to hear about your bad experience it has to be aggravating hearing everyone say good things while you have to deal with an issue, but I really think it can be resolved just keep at it with the dealership.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Over 14,000 miles on my Hybrid. I drive 100 miles/day, mostly highway, and I have not experienced any of the annoying noises described. Only a little regenerative brake noise just before coming to stop. Either there is a real issue that requires the attention of your Toyota service dept, or you have very acute hearing that is particularly sensitive to the frequency of this noise. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I shall try that.
I've noticed this with my XLE hybrid as well, when I let go of the accelerator there is noise. Is that normal??

·
Registered
449 Posts
I hear whining sound like a motor slowing down when I brake to slow down. My first hybrid so not sure if noise/sound is normal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I hear whining sound like a motor slowing down when I brake to slow down. My first hybrid so not sure if noise/sound is normal.
Yes, this is normal from the regenerative braking system. When breaking to come to a stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes the whining sound is normal. Its a bit louder in the R4H as compared to the prius, but then again the r4H has front and rear motors simultaneously re-capturing lost energy while braking.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts