Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The state of Indiana has increased tax by $50 for registraion taxes because they are too efficient in fuel to help maintain roads, but gas guzzling, heavy and multi tire vehicles are allowed with no penalty.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The state of Indiana has increased tax by $50 for registraion taxes because they are too efficient in fuel to help maintain roads, but gas guzzling, heavy and multi tire vehicles are allowed with no penalty.
Oregon is now charging $110 a year for a pure EV. There’s also a per-mile option that might cost some EV owners less.

Gas vehicles are paying fuel taxes. Electrics don’t. Why should electrics be exempt? Where is the money to maintain roads going to come from as gas tax revenue declines?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess they don't value the lower emissions hybrids produce. But don't complain it could be worse. You're not paying $3.75/gallon like I'm paying in California.

I can't believe another State invented a tax we don't have.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I guess they don't value the lower emissions hybrids produce. But don't complain it could be worse. You're not paying $3.75/gallon like I'm paying in California.

I can't believe another State invented a tax we don't have.
Oregon GREATLY values the lower emissions. That’s why they’re paying a $2500 cash rebate to EV buyers. That won’t last forever though.

I don’t like the higher EV registration fee, but I understand it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
California wil just keep raising the gas tax as revenues decline. That way the poor people (and truckers) who can't afford an ev or hybrid get to pay for the roads.

Eventually the poor will be forced onto crappy mass transit and the state will have to figure out some other way to fund road maintenance. Our registration us already ridiculous.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In Australia we pay about the same equivalent price for fuel as California. But only get a $1,000 tax rebate fro Hybrids.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oregon GREATLY values the lower emissions. That’s why they’re paying a $2500 cash rebate to EV buyers. That won’t last forever though.

I don’t like the higher EV registration fee, but I understand it.
All cars should have the registration fees for road tax regardless of fuel source. Fossil fuel tax should fund areas where it does harm, like funding for healthcare and increasing green energy. Coal needs to have a real heavy tax as it seems to be the cheapest but worst fuel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The state of Indiana … but gas guzzling, heavy and multi tire vehicles are allowed with no penalty.
This Indiana Vehicle Registration fees chart shows heavy, multi tire vehicle pay significantly more annual fees than passenger vehicles.

About 80x more in fees per year.

As well, they pay more fuel tax, because they pull loads close to 80,000 lbs., so yes, they are "gas guzzling".

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is not new technology anymore and the price premium of hybrid has come down. There's talk of some countries banning gasoline engines (sale of new ones anyway) in 15 years. The golden age of the internal combustion engine is over. Hybrid tech is mainstream (as a bridge to wean us off of gasoline power). The honeymoon period is over.

Added registration fees will be a stop-gap measure before we get a flat tax on every car sold to cover road infrastructure. Soon (10-15 year) gas tax will go up as a penalty for not converting to pure electric.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here in Colorado there is currently a bill in the legislature to add an extra yearly fee "up to $120" (currently $50) for plug in vehicles (as in other states) and also add a "longevity fee" that increases every year because electric vehicles are expected to have a longer life. The rationale is that this makes up for the loss of tax revenue that would be collected when people buy new cars. In Colorado fees are based on purchase price, then taper each year. so the longevity fee is not absolutely crazy but it is from a legislator that is not interested in encouraging EV use.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is not new technology anymore and the price premium of hybrid has come down. There's talk of some countries banning gasoline engines (sale of new ones anyway) in 15 years. The golden age of the internal combustion engine is over. Hybrid tech is mainstream (as a bridge to wean us off of gasoline power). The honeymoon period is over.

Added registration fees will be a stop-gap measure before we get a flat tax on every car sold to cover road infrastructure. Soon (10-15 year) gas tax will go up as a penalty for not converting to pure electric.
Having lived through a couple of so called fossil fuel "energy crises", it will be a great day when it becomes mainstream for drivers to use the solar panels on the roofs of their homes to charge their EVs. In my opinion, the sooner we get there the better off we will all be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wisconsin vehicle license plate fees. The law passed right after I purchased my hybrid vehicle in 2019. Definitely NOT happy about it!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wisconsin vehicle license plate fees. The law passed right after I purchased my hybrid vehicle in 2019. Definitely NOT happy about it!

View attachment 149419
This is not fair at all but taxes often are not. Our non-hybrid Mazda3 gets the same or more MPGs than our hybrid Rav4. But the Rav4 would get the extra tax. Where's the logic?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honestly, we should be paying for roads based on miles driven. When I take my car in for an annual inspection, they record the mileage. Report that to the state and charge everyone $1/100 miles or something. Then raise gas taxes by a nickel/year for the next 10 years to subsidize the expansion of green energy and encourage people to move to more efficient vehicles. (slowly enough that it isn't immediately a penalty on larger vehicles, but enough to make people think about it). Maybe make certain exemptions/rebates for trucking/shipping/transport types of activities to avoid tanking the economy, but exclude passenger vehicles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Honestly, we should be paying for roads based on miles driven.
Utah is offering hybrid owners the option of using a 3rd party app to track our comings and goings, then charge us per mile driven. Seemed reasonable until I read the app isn’t yet able to distinguish between in-state and out-of-state miles. So I have to pay Utah to drive to California and back? Fees paid would not rise above the flat rate fee, which is an additional $39, as I recall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Utah is offering hybrid owners the option of using a 3rd party app to track our comings and goings, then charge us per mile driven. Seemed reasonable until I read the app isn’t yet able to distinguish between in-state and out-of-state miles. So I have to pay Utah to drive to California and back? Fees paid would not rise above the flat rate fee, which is an additional $39, as I recall.
My response to that is that you aren't paying California, but you are using their roads! If the system is set like that, then the taxes are collected by the state the vehicle is registered in... Shenanigans could ensue, for sure, but at a base level, people who drive more should pay more for maintaining the roads. (In my opinion)

·
Registered
340 Posts
So far, no extra charges for Hybrid and electric vehicles in Florida. Also, we still have the hybrid and electric HOV stickers for the Turnpike and free 95 express lanes in South Florida. There are no stipulations on what type of hybrid needs to qualify for these stickers meaning a 10 MPG mild hybrid will qualify.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts