Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Rav4 with a four Cylinder engine. Iam going to get an Oil Changee, should I keep the Regular Oil or change to Synthetic Oil?:serious:confused:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you are burning and replacing oil as quickly as you have said in your other posts, it wouldn't make much sense to switch to more expensive oil.

Have you done the oil consumption test yet?

Reactions: sparky52

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Seems to me that in previous posts you said that your engine is using quite a lot of oil. If that's the situation then it wouldn't make sense to use synthetic which generally is more expensive than conventional engine oil.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RAVN4RED, thanks for the quick reply. I didnt even think about the oil consumption when I was thinking of maybe using synthetic oil, and YES it eould be COSTLY replacing the synthetic oil. The reason for the oil usuage is something to do with the type pistons in the certain 4 cylinder engines. And no I havent done an oil consumption test on my car. Do the dealers do it.?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Blogson, thanks for the quick reply. I wasnt even thinking about the oil consumption when I was thinking of maybe using the synthetic oil, and YES it would be COSTLY replacing the synthetic oil every time it goes low. The reason for the oil usuage is something to do with the type of pistons in the certain 4 cylinder engines. Iam thinking of looking into a 2012 V6 engine Rav4

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A random question for all that know about oils. In a V6 Rav4 engine what would be the best oil to use, synthetic or Regular?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had the dealer put full synthetic in when I bought mine new (I believe it had about 30 miles on it from test drives), and have been using full synthetic ever since, changed at 5,000 mile intervals (along with the filter) so as not to raise any potential warranty issues, given that's the interval at which the oil needs to be changed in the owner's manual.

It can get bitter cold here in the winter (well below 0 °F) and as such I'm hopeful it will reduce engine wear when starting as compared to dino oil, the net effect being a longer engine life, as I plan to keep my RAV4 as long as is reasonably possible.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
A random question for all that know about oils. In a V6 Rav4 engine what would be the best oil to use, synthetic or Regular?

The recommended oil for the RAV4 V6 is regular (dino) oil, but since the same engine is used by Toyota for some of the other vehicles and synthetic is also suggested for those vehicles it would seem that it could be used for the RAV4's V6 as well. Some owners have reported doing so. The catch is that if the RAV is still under warranty or has a Toyota VSA the service schedule is for 5.000 mile oil and filter changes, and to avoid having problems with the warranty or the VSA the oil should be changed at that interval. Since synthetic oil generally has a longer service life than conventional oil, to change it each 5,000 miles likely would be somewhat of a waste and also would be more expensive.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Frankly what does it matter concerning oil for the V-6 when you have a 2.4l four cylinder?
As has been mentioned SO MANY times your's uses oil so why would you spend more ?
A totally ridiculous concept for no return.

In theory synthetic is always better but that may not prove to be true in real life. Dino oils are better than they have ever been so the gap is closing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
... The reason for the oil usuage is something to do with the type pistons in the certain 4 cylinder engines. And no I havent done an oil consumption test on my car. Do the dealers do it?
Yes, the Toyota dealer will do it-- for free. TIME IS RUNNING OUT. Take it to a Toyota dealer and ask for the oil consumption test. This program has been going for a couple of years but time is running out--especially for your 2006 model, you must start the test before the end of October (for USA). Go to dealer, drive 1200 miles, go back, see how much it burned, and maybe they'll fix your car.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't worry about the type or cost of the actual oil right now. Synthetic isn't going to help at this point, and it's chump change compared to the engine rebuild you might get. Focus on that and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Incidentally, I have seen dino oil in the bitter cold (e.g. about -15 °F) and it's like glue, worse than something like Elmers' Glue at room temperature. Pretty much like silicon caulk, I think.

It flows *very* slowly, and is thick and heavy.

I don't remember what weight oil that was, as this was many years ago (about 25), but it is hard to forget.

Seeing is believing.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Incidentally, I have seen dino oil in the bitter cold (e.g. about -15 °F) and it's like glue, worse than something like Elmers' Glue at room temperature. Pretty much like silicon caulk, I think.

I don't remember what weight oil that was, as this was many years ago (about 25), but it is hard to forget.

Seeing is believing.

When I lived in the Midwest years ago, during winter I and many others switched to straight 10w oil. The only drawback was that it was suggested that driving speed not exceed 60 mph. In Minnesota most of the time where I lived we couldn't drive even that fast because of icy and slippery roads. My studded snow tires (now banned) did make 60 mph possible quite often.

Additional info - I recall that some owners even ran straight 5w oil. All if it was conventional oil - no synthetic available then. Neither 5w or 10w was too thick to flow reasonably well, even at -35F.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts

Seeing is believing.
About 25 years ago 20W50 was a common oil. To base oil flow today from that memory is a bit much, to be kind. This does not compute.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RtexasF, Iam looking into buying a 2012 V6 Rav4, I hope I find a good one.But U and other folks here have conviced me to stay with regular. ? ?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
About 25 years ago 20W50 was a common oil. To base oil flow today from that memory is a bit much, to be kind. This does not compute.
I'm pretty sure it was either 5W-30 or 10W-30, as that's what I used back then. Probably 10W-30. I was a poor college student running it in my rusted out crappy blue '76 Chevy Nova with the I6 engine and three on the tree. It burned a fair amount of oil, which required adding oil year round.

Come to think of it, it might have been almost 30 years ago.

No kidding, it was like glue. IIRC, after I started it the lifters would click for probably 30 seconds or so before it would flow better.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts