Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a 2010 Rav4 as a work vehicle for 5 years now. Just a base model "CV" one, 5-speed manual.

Its time to get a new work car, and its a toss-up between a turbo diesel Rav or a Honda CRV. The wife likes the CRV more, but my heart is still with the Rav.

We'll be purchasing my old Rav work car as a personal car for my wife to drive (much more room than her Mazda 3 with 2 young kids).

Decisions decisions.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
You're very lucky, you get to select a 5-speed manual transmission and diesel engine. The RAV4 (and CR-V) are only available as automatics with gasoline engines here in N. America.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've always enjoyed a manual car, although autos are probably smarter and more efficient these days. They've deleted the manual option from the petrol Rav here, so if you want manual you're left with either a 2 litre fwd only, or the awd diesel.

Some reports of high oil use in the diesel has me nervous, hence considering a crv, which is only sold as a 5 sod auto here, not the cvt (which might not be a bad thing anyway).

The diesel has had its rated towing capacity slashed, which makes me worried about cooling too.

It's a bit of a shame that most of the things *I* liked with the previous shape have gone. The wheel on the boot was great for extra underfloor storage. Deleted the rear seat rails. Deleted the lever in the boot for dropping the seats. Hell, even the sunglasses holder got deleted.

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
Wait, the wife likes the CRV but will be driving the "old" 2010 RAV4? Sounds like a perpetual argument if you get anything but a new RAV4.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
It's a bit of a shame that most of the things *I* liked with the previous shape have gone. The wheel on the boot was great for extra underfloor storage. Deleted the rear seat rails. Deleted the lever in the boot for dropping the seats. Hell, even the sunglasses holder got deleted.
I hear you! In fact, those features you just listed are some of the reasons why I went over to the RAV4 and away from the CR-V.

I even made a list that didn't go over well with some new owners:

Features added and dropped for the 2013-2014 RAV4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, forgot about some of those other things too. The dual-lid console was a great thing. Pens and business cards in the top, other crap underneath. Ah well.

I like the idea of not giving the wife a choice :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.