Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting my RAV4 in april. I am currently in Colorado and later this year I will be moving to Georgia. Should I fly to GA purchase my car there and drive it back to Colorado? or should I just buy it here in Colorado. I plan to lease mine. Yes this is my first purchase and i dont know if one needs to make trips to the dealer (you bought your car from) for servicing etc. Please advice.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Well, if you're leasing, you probably don't want all that road-trip mileage on a brand-new vehicle, eh? :wink: Then again, that could be fun! Just ask Becky!

Where you bought your RAV doesn't matter -- it's a Toyota and any Toyota dealer will service it, as will Lexus dealers for that matter.

Something to keep in mind is that regionally, there may be variations in equipment and options. You should look into what configurations are being sold in Colorado and Georgia.

Happy hunting! 8)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You shouldn't have a problem with a relocation, but dealers are big on customer loyalty. I.e., if there are several dealers within proximity of each other and you buy at 1 and get service at another, don't expect to get any breaks on service.

My experience is that if you demonstrate to the dealer that you will continue to use them over time for both purchases and service, they tend to treat you much better. Of course, the way it should work is that the dealer should go out of their way to give you good prices and great service in order to entice you keep going back to them, but that is never the case.

I used to work with national dealer inventory financing company so I worked very closely with the dealer back offices. I have never met a more consistently disgusting den of vipers. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than your typical dealer.

My only caveat is this: Large dealers rely on volume and tend to have high sales force turnover. They can generally offer better prices than a small dealer, but will rob you blind any chance they get.

Examples
- Selling a vehicle with known defects and then making you chase them for repairs.
- Adding life and health insurance to your finance contract without your knowledge. If you ask about it, they will tell you it’s required to qualify for financing (it’s not).
- Other non-requested/non-required add-ons. Rusty Jones was one of their big scams, windshield VIN etching is another.
- etc (too many to list).

Small dealers tend to rely more on repeat customers, customer loyalty, and customer recommendations to generate business. Unfortunately, because they don’t work with the same volume as large dealers, they can’t offer as competitive prices. However, many times you will save more in the long run with quality service, repairs that are correct the first time, etc.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
It shouldn't make a squat of difference as far as service but it can. Sometimes they're willing to give a loaner to someone who bought a car from them, but not someone who just gets service there.

I think the more important question here is about the lease. I know the rules regarding leases can vary from state to state. Definitely something to look into.

And on a related note, I wouldn't recommend leasing unless it's something you can write off as a business expense.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Then again, that could be fun! Just ask Becky!
Heehee, Tony's right about that one!

The short version of the story is that I live in Wisconsin, couldn't get a Rav with my specs anywhere near here, and therefore bought my Rav from a dealer in Boston via internet, phone, fax, and Fedex. Took Amtrak out to Boston (I LOVE Amtrak, we take it everywhere!), had a fun weekend, and drove the Rav home.

So, based on personal experience, you can absolutely buy your Rav anywhere in the country (actually anywhere in the world I believe) and get warranty service through any Toyota dealer. This is also true of the Toyota extended warranty (make sure it's the Toyota one and not a dealer extended warranty).

As for loyalty, we have a dealer locally that we've now bought four Toyotas through and many of the employees there know us. And I'm pretty sure the folks in Boston won't forget us anytime soon! :lol: They were a good choice though. We'd go back to that dealer too, if we ever decide to buy another Toyota that wasn't available here (or just want a vacation :wink: ).

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in the exact same situation- moving to Georgia in April and trying to decide when to buy the car. Something else you might want to consider is that as of Jan 1 2006 you are required to pay sales tax on any vehicle bought out of state and then registered in Georgia. I'm not sure of all the details, but I'll see if I can find the link.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the link, but after reading it again I may have been mistaken.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/titlefees.asp

Effective January 1, 2006 - When applying for a Georgia title for a vehicle that was purchased from an out-of-state/country dealer or business, Georgia sales tax must be paid at the time of application or proof must be submitted that the sales tax has already been paid. A Georgia title and license plate will not be issued until any sales tax due is paid. The amount of sales tax due is based on the vehicle’s purchase price or the vehicle’s fair market value if a sales invoice is not submitted. Click here to determine the sales tax rate in your county. The published sales tax rates for counties include the State of Georgia’s sales tax rate. For additional information regarding sales tax, please contact the DOR Regional Office serving your county .
The "...or proof must be submitted that the sales tax has already been paid" seems to indicate you will not be responsible for paying the tax twice, but it doesn't specify whether "already paid" means paid to Georgia or paid at all.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who did you buy your Rav from in Boston?

The short version of the story is that I live in Wisconsin, couldn't get a RAV with my specs anywhere near here, and therefore bought my RAV from a dealer in Boston via internet, phone, fax, and Fedex. Took Amtrak out to Boston (I LOVE Amtrak, we take it everywhere!), had a fun weekend, and drove the RAV home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts