Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of relocating my spare tire to the roof attached to cross bars. Here are a couple of sample pictures of a roof tire:

My 2020 XLE does not have a moonroof. I do not go off-roading or camping. I would keep the spare/donut on the roof not a full size wheel/tire as shown in the pictures.

I want to do this to provide space to put car stereo amplifier and subwoofer by using the spare tire compartment. Since I hardly ever use the spare tire, I figure that putting it on the roof is convenient while having the security of a spare in case I ever need it. I believe putting the spare tire on the roof is safer and better than attaching it onto the rear cargo door.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
656 Posts
To each their own, if you like it own it!

I got rid of my spare and OEM jack, have a compressor/repair kit/bottle jack instead now in the trunk.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

I got rid of my spare and OEM jack, have a compressor/repair kit/bottle jack instead now in the trunk.
Yeah, I was considering this setup as I know that many OEM cars no longer come with a spare tire.

Can you provide pictures of the compressor / repair kit / bottle jack? How does the repair kit work?

Are you storing these items in the spare tire compartment? Or, do you have something else there?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yeah, I was considering this setup as I know that many OEM cars no longer come with a spare tire.

Can you provide pictures of the compressor / repair kit / bottle jack? How does the repair kit work?

Are you storing these items in the spare tire compartment? Or, do you have something else there?
Picture here:

Storing it all in the spare tire space, it’s all sitting on some spare heavy duty non-slip underlay for carpets I got from ikea to prevent movement and rattling. The repair kit provides me the ability to repair punctures, anything more major I have roadside assistance.

-Compressor is smittybilt 2780
-Repair kit is smittybilt 2733
-Bottle jack is a 12ton low profile clone you can probably find @ harbourfreight

4wheelparts.com seem to have good prices on the above.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
58 Posts
I might be pointing out the obvious, but your fuel economy will take a pretty big hit, especially on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I might be pointing out the obvious, but your fuel economy will take a pretty big hit, especially on the highway.
Certainly it will reduce gas mileage, the question is how much. Does anybody here really know? How about experiences with roof carriers?

I am thinking about this a bit, as I sometimes take the long forest roads. For sure I will keep the better tire when I eventually get tires replaced and get it mounted on a cheap rim.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
58 Posts
Certainly it will reduce gas mileage, the question is how much. Does anybody here really know? How about experiences with roof carriers?

I am thinking about this a bit, as I sometimes take the long forest roads. For sure I will keep the better tire when I eventually get tires replaced and get it mounted on a cheap rim.
There are reports out there that say even an empty roof rack can significantly hurt your fuel economy, but most don't specify exactly what kind of rack. Others test the effects of storage pods, luggage, and bikes... not much about spare tires. But you could assume it's a similar hit to a small storage pod. This says luggage on the roof can drop your fuel economy 21%. This shows less severe results specifically on a 2019 RAV4, dropping 13% with a pod of unspecified size on top.
But there's also this from the Cherokee forums which mentions wind noise and clearance as other reason not to put your spare up there.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I get the logic above, but come on guys, live a little....

I’ve had my rack on since February and can still hit 1000kms on one tank 😦 Throwing my roofbox on top it goes down to 5.3-5.5L/100km, which is still very good for this car with a family of 3 + dog and heavy baby shit.

I think there’s just a lot of bad drivers on the internet lol 🤣

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about relocating the spare tire to the rear cargo door? Previous year Rav4 models have this arrangement. Sample pictures are shown below:

What about the rear bumper? Here are some sample pictures:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I haven't even seen any hardware to support that, you'd probably be the first to get it done. It's possible getting in touch with some local overlander companies to scope ideas, but they'll probably charge an arm and a leg for the custom work, I'd totally do it if I was making my RAV4 a social media beauty queen.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What kind or how many subs are you planning?

Single sub, an option is to put it in the spare wheel itself.

Couple small ones, maybe a custom box on the sides where the OEM premium puts the sub.

Well, just options. Have fun!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I've decided to keep my spare tire in its compartment. I'm redesigning my car stereo setup so as to not put any equipment in the spare tire area.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Over the years I’ve had a number of flats caused by metal road debris that resulted in an unrepairable flat. A repair kit is only good for an easily repairable hole such as a nail. I’ve had slices a couple of inches long on more than one occasion. With a spare tire, I know I can get up and running again in 20-30 minutes no matter how badly a tire gets destroyed. I prefer the piece if mind of having a spare, especially when I‘m out in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone service.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Over the years I’ve had a number of flats caused by metal road debris that resulted in an unrepairable flat. A repair kit is only good for an easily repairable hole such as a nail. I’ve had slices a couple of inches long on more than one occasion. With a spare tire, I know I can get up and running again in 20-30 minutes no matter how badly a tire gets destroyed. I prefer the piece if mind of having a spare, especially when I‘m out in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone service.
True, always plan ahead and know where you'll be and what you're prepared to do, biggest problem is people don't have a game plan when push comes to shove.

Personally I'm never in the middle of nowhere w/o reception and even more so lately with an infant - we need to be within 20 minutes of a hospital wherever we travel just in case. For the more extreme circumstances I have roadside assistance, the repair kit is enough to not halt our plans and detour me to costco.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts