Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you experience buying 3 battery in the last 3 weeks? I bought the car 4 weeks ago. It is 2011 Rav4 limited. The seller gave me 2 remote. They look the same, so I can't identify. I drive the car everyday. The past 4 weeks, I had to stop by auto zone 3 times to purchase 1632 battery. Now I am putting keychain to identify which remote is causing trouble.

Does it mean remote (push button) is leaking the power? I always park my car with my company valet boys. They tend to leave my remote inside the car, will that cause problem? Thanks if someone can help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I think this TSB will help to explain your short battery life

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2008/T-SB-0122-08.pdf

To summarize, it says that the Smart Key is normally in an idle mode listening for an electronic "ping" to wake it up. The key uses very minimal power in this mode.

When it does receive a signal from a transmitter (either electronic interference or the signal being transmitted by your RAV), the key wakes up and begins transmitting it's ID codes in order to unlock the doors or start the engine. Whenever a key is transmitting it uses a lot more power than it does in the idle state.

When you leave the key in your RAV it would be transmitting almost constantly, and resulting in extremely short battery life.

You can search this forum for suggestions about storing the key inside the RAV by wrapping it in tin foil, placing it inside metal boxes, or even turning off the key by pressing a combination of buttons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this TSB will help to explain your short battery life

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2008/T-SB-0122-08.pdf

To summarize, it says that the Smart Key is normally in an idle mode listening for an electronic "ping" to wake it up. The key uses very minimal power in this mode.

When it does receive a signal from a transmitter (either electronic interference or the signal being transmitted by your RAV), the key wakes up and begins transmitting it's ID codes in order to unlock the doors or start the engine. Whenever a key is transmitting it uses a lot more power than it does in the idle state.

When you leave the key in your RAV it would be transmitting almost constantly, and resulting in extremely short battery life.

You can search this forum for suggestions about storing the key inside the RAV by wrapping it in tin foil, placing it inside metal boxes, or even turning off the key by pressing a combination of buttons.

Thanks Rick, I think my keys are 24 hours transmitting. My company valet always placed the keys inside the car. That is already 12 hours a day. When I get home, I place it in the kitchen drawer and my wife have a CD stereo 1 inch above it and she is playing music like 18 hours a day. Both remote are placing the drawer at the same time. That's why I keep replacing battery. This is very helpful material.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts