Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Azure Gadget Font Operating system Screenshot

Is it only me having this problem with the remote climate control?

Tried googling but no answer is to be found.

It doesnt matter if i use the App or the Key fob, the car flashes, I hear the heatpump start, then it stops after 1-3 minutes and this messages pops up.

The car have been in and out of the dealer but no solution yet. The last thing they tried was to disable the cars ability to go into hibarnation, but that didnt work either.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
Any vehicle error codes to share?

I would test the Heat pump’s ability to heat and cool to try to find out why vehicle computer triggered remote climate control to stop.

In the USA I’m going to have my dealer perform this procedure because I can’t remote start with the triple-press Lock-Door on Key FOB (function only for USA Rav4 Prime SE&XSE with Premium Audio); https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181782-9999.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any vehicle error codes to share?

I would test the Heat pump’s ability to heat and cool to try to find out why vehicle computer triggered remote climate control to stop.

In the USA I’m going to have my dealer perform this procedure because I can’t remote start with the triple-press Lock-Door on Key FOB (function only for USA Rav4 Prime SE&XSE with Premium Audio); https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181782-9999.pdf
I dont have any vehicle fault codes to share

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
You could always try the DCM reset via 12v battery disconnect (neg terminal disconnect?) from step 4 & 5 of pdf;

Is the firmware version up-to-date?
 YES — This bulletin does NOT apply. Continue diagnosis using the applicable Repair Manual.
 NO — Continue to step 4.
4. Disconnect the battery to reset the DCM.
5. Reconnect the battery AFTER it has been disconnected for AT LEAST 30 minutes.
6. Cycle the ignition to the IG-ON position IMMEDIATELY.
7. Verify the SOS LED indicator status.
Has the SOS LED indicator been on solid green for more than five seconds?
 YES — Continue to step 8.
 NO — This bulletin does NOT apply. Continue diagnosis using the applicable Repair Manual.
8. Perform the DCM firmware update utility. Refer to TIS – Body Electrical – Telematics – Utility.

Turning it off and back on, fixes it half the time. It = anything.

But I would (like to) think your dealership technicians would have done this already. Did they wait 30 minute?

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
343 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
Yes, I paid for the function and I’m going to (try) to make the dealership make it work. I have come to realize that you have to know as much or more that the person fixing something/anything for you. So I’m going to dealer with the TSBS print out and ask them to fix the remote triple-press on key FOB remote start under warranty.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes, I paid for the function and I’m going to (try) to make the dealership make it work. I have come to realize that you have to know as much or more that the person fixing something/anything for you. So I’m going to dealer with the TSBS print out and ask them to fix the remote triple-press on key FOB remote start under warranty.
I'll definitely be interested to hear how you make it out. The folks at Carista seemed to think that enabling the "remote engine start" feature would enable the triple lock function, but that didn't work for me. I also looked through the options in Techstream but couldn't find any way to do it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I guess it's not really surprising how uninformed the dealer techs can be, given how rapidly tech is changing and now having to be part IT guy on top of everything mechanical... And the app software is probably farmed out to a 3rd party... That doesn't make it any less frustrating for the customer.

I understand that dealer's have their own tech support network for things like this where Toyota engineers are available to them to help resolve technical issues... Like stopping and asking for directions, I'm sure there's a bit of reluctance on the dealer's part to ask for help, but at some point enough is enough.

Here's hoping you get it resolved. It does sound like a hibernation type of problem...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello again.

I did disconnect the battery and left the car sit for an hour.

Reconnected and imidiatly startet the car, it did take 8 seconds +/- for the red LED to switch to green, but it stayed green. So no issues there as the TSB says.

Contacted my dealer and they forwarded my issue to a higher level in the Toyota system.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
If the green led stayed solid green for more than 5 seconds then there IS an issue according to the TSB;

From Post #4;
Has the SOS LED indicator been on solid green for more than five seconds?
 YES — Continue to step 8.
 NO — This bulletin does NOT apply. Continue diagnosis using the applicable Repair Manual.
8. Perform the DCM firmware update utility. Refer to TIS – Body Electrical – Telematics – Utility.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I can't start the car by pressing the key fob lock button three times, but I can start climate control with the A/C button on the fob. Isn't that the same as starting the car, since it always starts in EV mode?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can't start the car by pressing the key fob lock button three times, but I can start climate control with the A/C button on the fob. Isn't that the same as starting the car, since it always starts in EV mode?
No, it's not the same. The issue is that if the temp is below 14F no amount of time with the remote A/C running will heat the cabin. If you could force the engine to start, it would.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
If you have Premuim Audio in you USA Rav4 Prime, then you should have both functions that (yes) start the R4P in EV mode. If you can’t triple-press remote start R4P w/ Premium Audio, then you might benefit from an ECU (car computer) firmware upgrade before more symptoms from the list show up (maybe).

I paid for the function so I’ll let the Toyota dealership poke at my R4P to fix it under warranty. I’m hoping Toyota or I can program the triple press remote start to turn the ICE on for winter cabin heat (long shot I know).

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you have Premuim Audio in you USA Rav4 Prime, then you should have both functions that (yes) start the R4P in EV mode. If you can’t triple-press remote start R4P w/ Premium Audio, then you might benefit from an ECU (car computer) firmware upgrade before more symptoms from the list show up (maybe).

I paid for the function so I’ll let the Toyota dealership poke at my R4P to fix it under warranty. I’m hoping Toyota or I can program the triple press remote start to turn the ICE on for winter cabin heat (long shot I know).
Hopefully that's the case, but I have a feeling that Toyota intentionally left out the triple-lock function on the Prime since it has the Remote A/C button.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
I called Toyota support that they confirmed that I should have that function and I should take it to my local dealer to be fixed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you start remote climate with the A/C button on the key fob in cold ambient temperatures, won't that start the heat pump in the R4P and run off the battery? it's too hot in Texas to test.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you start remote climate with the A/C button on the key fob in cold ambient temperatures, won't that start the heat pump in the R4P and run off the battery? it's too hot in Texas to test.
Yes, but the heat pump doesn't work when the temp is below 14F. There in lies the problem.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
I don’t believe it unless I see it (regarding R4P Prem Audio = TPress remote start).

Heat pump does not work well under 20F, but it keeps on trying.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts