Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay everyone... My experience is as follows:. Use the Toyota App for all remote functions. It will work, however in many cases if your phone has a system update or the Toyota App has been updated... you will have to unload/reload the Toyota app.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid on Febrery 28th and I have the same problem where the app is not communicating with vehicle. Toyota says that there is a problem with the app and they are working on it. Does anybody else have this issue? How long? Did Toyota announce this issue?
There are volumes written on '20 Remote Connect system in numerous discussions, the app works just fine for '19 owners, so the suspected cuprit is the '20 vehicle communication system, most likely the DCM which Toyota change mfrs, was Denso on the '19s, '20s have a diiferent mfr, best work around to get it working for now is disconnecting the 12 volt battery for 15-30 minutes, then reconnecting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are volumes written on '20 Remote Connect system in numerous discussions, the app works just fine for '19 owners, so the suspected cuprit is the '20 vehicle communication system, most likely the DCM which Toyota change mfrs, was Denso on the '19s, '20s have a diiferent mfr, best work around to get it working for now is disconnecting the 12 volt battery for 15-30 minutes, then reconnecting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my 2020 RAV4 for just under a month. The Toyota Remote connect system App has failed 2 times. Like everyone here, I did all the stuff and nothing worked. Finally I took the battery cable loose from the battery and let it sit for a minute or so, then reconnected.
Both times this cured my problem. Worth a try. If it works maybe someone could clue Toyota what makes it work again and then they can find the root problem and repair it.

·
Registered
2020 XSE Hybrid
189 Posts
We made it about 4 weeks this last time then stopped working this morning. Another battery disconnect (which I’m getting good at) and it’s back online.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2020 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium that I purchased a few weeks ago. I was using the Toyota app and it was working great. A few days ago it stopped connecting to the car. I found this discussion, disconnected my battery for 30 minutes and it fixed the issue. So thankful for the people in this forum.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a 2020 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium that I purchased a few weeks ago. I was using the Toyota app and it was working great. A few days ago it stopped connecting to the car. I found this discussion, disconnected my battery for 30 minutes and it fixed the issue. So thankful for the people in this forum.
Supposedly the dealer can install a firmware update that will correct the problem. I haven't had it done yet due to C19 etc.

·
Registered
2020 XSE Hybrid
189 Posts
Enjoy the 1-2 weeks you’ll get until it disconnects again. Since Feb we’ve had ours work for no longer than 2 weeks before it disconnected. I’m tired of fiddling with the battery.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My "Toyota Remote Connect" app on my up-to-date iPhone 7Plus has been working without issue . . . . until the evening 5/28/2020.

Multiple removal, download, and reinstalls, multiple logins, multiple VIN entry attempts . . . . ALL result in the same dialog window:

"The VIN entered for this
account could not be
authenticated.

Please call Toyota Call Center
at 1-800-331-4331"

This App is NOT Toyota but a THIRD PARTY Contract representing Toyota.

The Toyota USA browser portal works.

Spoke with a very nice woman, placed me on hold while she checked with "IT". Yep, I could have told her that there is a problem with the VIN, the App, and the reconciliation process when the App attempts to shake hands with the Toyota VIN DataBase. She gave me a case number and indicated I would receive a telephone call when the software is repaired.

I'm going to take that Post-IT note with the case number on it and place it in a zip-lock baggie, and tape that zip-lock baggie inside the skid guard shield for the gasoline tank on my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid on the safe presumption that I will never need it. Ever.

Just one more item that Toyota could give nothing more than a semi-formed rat-shit about and will never spend a solitary iota of a New York second fixing.

We are all living in special times.

Civilization is breaking down, failing.

People think that a "Job Description" is an optional part of employment, assuming that they are fortunate enough to even have a job.

Getting up, dressing, and showing up ought to be good enough to collect pay. People have no interest in doing their job. Corporations have zero interest in providing quality products or services, or Customer Service, just increased growth and increased profits.

Good times.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No. From posts on this forum, it doesn’t do any good.
Get the DCM firmware update done to your vehicle, if it's a 2020 build.
It is an important update and addresses more than just what it mentions. This is different than the usual software update.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Get the DCM firmware update done to your vehicle, if it's a 2020 build.
It is an important update and addresses more than just what it mentions. This is different than the usual software update.
Does the update fix the app lost-connection problem once and for all?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sunday night, Monday morning, June 1. On a lark, I downloaded, installed and opened the Toyota app once more, signed in, and viola, there's my RAV4 as though it had never broken or left.

Must have been my hunting down the Rav4World thread detailing how to power-down/turn-off/kill the Data Communications Module (DCM) that did the trick.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So far it has for my vehicle.
Is the process of Firmware Update doable without visiting the Dealership? IOW, is it a field serviceable item? Can I do it provided I've got a decent Internet LAN WiFi signal in my garage?

Oh, I bet I need Toyota Techstream?

Japan build, July 17, 2019.

I have nothing good to say about any Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
2020 XSE Hybrid
189 Posts
Is the process of Firmware Update doable without visiting the Dealership? IOW, is it a field serviceable item? Can I do it provided I've got a decent Internet LAN WiFi signal in my garage?

Oh, I bet I need Toyota Techstream?

Japan build, July 17, 2019.

I have nothing good to say about any Toyota dealership.
From what I understand it can only be done at a dealership.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wish I could do it myself too, my appointment is on June, 10th and they want it for like 3-4 hours...
I live in the approximate center of a triangle of three dealerships, all within 100 miles.

I choose which one based upon my mood.

Would I rather be shot, stabbed, or hung.

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
The update software may be available on TIS if you subscribed and then possibly installed with Techstream if cloned version will work with it, but that may also just be available to dealer service depts. Hopefully the service dept will have had enough experience with the update to install it without the hitches that have happened earlier.

61 - 80 of 133 Posts