Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Remote Connect app error

85K views 153 replies 51 participants last post by  dweerarathne 
#1 ·
I'm trying to use Remote Connect on Android for the first time. Clicking sign-in gives "AGT001: We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again."

So far, Toyota hasn't been able to resolve it even after talking to the app developers!

I'm not looking for troubleshooting help here. Just curious if anyone else has seen this error.

#3 ·
Oh, I've force stopped the app, deleted the cache, deleted the data, uninstalled, reinstalled. Repeat. Toyota had me use the fob to do a remote start saying that after I did it once from the fob, the app should work. They also deleted all my connected services and set them all up again. And then had me do the install/uninstall hokey pokey several more times.

Anyway, I'm sure this works for almost everyone here. I was just curious if there was anyone else around who has or had this problem.

#5 ·
Toyota is still working my issue. They had me download a different app from "remote connect" called simply "Toyota". It also does nothing when I click "sign in", but now I can't even see my vehicle info from the website like I could before! So they're making "backwards progress"! ;)

#8 ·
I've been having a similar, but different issue. Mine worked fine when I first got the car, but then the key fob and the app stopped working for engine start. The app will do everything else, but when I try to start the engine I get a THS168 error and it tells me to contact dealer.
Took the car to the dealer for 5K service yesterday and the service advisor seemed totally stumped and wanted me to leave my car and phone with them for a "day or two." Since that wasn't practical, I told them I'll see about bringing it in later.

#9 ·
I've been having a similar, but different issue. Mine worked fine when I first got the car, but then the key fob and the app stopped working for engine start. The app will do everything else, but when I try to start the engine I get a THS168 error and it tells me to contact dealer.
Took the car to the dealer for 5K service yesterday and the service advisor seemed totally stumped and wanted me to leave my car and phone with them for a "day or two." Since that wasn't practical, I told them I'll see about bringing it in later.
Yes that was my service dealer's first reaction, was to "blame" my phone for the problem, after I'd dropped my RAV4 off to them, they called to tell me they needed me to bring in my phone to check the app for errors (which I'd already done, having given them the error codes previously). My thought was "well, the key fob has also stopped working to remote start, previously it had worked perfectly, so it is NOT just my phone that's the problem here". Somehow, I think the problem is not with the car itself, nor my phone, nor my key fobs (which both still work fine to lock/unlock/open rear hatch). Unless I'm mistaken, the signals that are sent from either the key fob or the phone app specifically for remote start are only sending them as "requests" to a remote server somewhere, via the car's Entune system/ DCM link, then the remote server is supposed to handle the secure authorizations (via encryption, I also assume) to produce the wireless signal commands to send back to the car for the Entune system to initiate the engine start/power on state. Anything could disrupt that link chain, such as poor/no DCM signal (which I've learned is through the cellular network), or anything affecting the server itself, such as owner account settings.

#10 ·
OK I finally got my remote start fixed, a local dealer service dept. got on the phone with someone in the engineering dept. at Toyota, they talked the service tech through a checklist to check the internal settings (thru Techstream I can only assume). A setting had been turned off (not by me), the tech turned it back on and that did the trick.

#11 · (Edited)
Hey, I think you're the same guy (based on username that posted in Toyota Nation).

Did the dealer only say that they just had to reenable a setting or did they have to do a "handshake" or "registration"? I'm struggling with my dealer at the moment.

Also, was there anything serviced in your car before the issue happened?

To others, have your dealers check if the setting "Remote Engine Start Allowed" is set to Enabled.

#17 ·
Are you using Remote Connect app or Toyota app? I deleted Remote Connect and only use Toyota, seems to work better without both on the phone and Toyota has more features.

#21 ·
My remote connect only worked on the first day then wouldn't be able to connect anymore.
Thank you, your comment on having both connect app got me thinking so I tried uninstalling my old Onstar app which was for my old vehicule and the Toyota app started working.
Would seem that my phone or the app itself doesn't like having different remote app maybe?

Hope this can help others

#22 ·
For what it's worth, last night the app source was having issues connecting. Later in the evening their system started working again.

#23 ·
I'm trying to use Remote Connect on Android for the first time. Clicking sign-in gives "AGT001: We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again."

So far, Toyota hasn't been able to resolve it even after talking to the app developers!

I'm not looking for troubleshooting help here. Just curious if anyone else has seen this error.
I havecrhe

I have the same problem here. Just used once when I purchase the new 2020 XSE Hybrid in dealer. Then never be able the use that again. And I’ve talked to the customer service and issue the problem. Nothing changed

#26 ·
I havecrhe

I have the same problem here. Just used once when I purchase the new 2020 XSE Hybrid in dealer. Then never be able the use that again. And I’ve talked to the customer service and issue the problem. Nothing changed
My remote connect through Toyota App was working fine for the first month, then last week quit working. In the app, it shows the info from the last time it connected, if I try to use any function (remote start or lock doors) it shows connecting with the circle going for quite some time, then that just stop - no error, no updated info, no task completed. Called a Customer Experience number and after being on hold 20 mins or a little more, they came back asked if I tried uninstalling/reinstalling - yes, and if I'm within 30 ft of vehicle (which shouldn't be needed) - yes, and if I have good signal, etc - yes (tried multiple days, multiple locations, nothing to do with that). She created a case and sending it to the technical team. I will post an update if I'm able to get anywhere.

#25 ·
Yesterday I reluctantly gave up on the Remote Connect App because it was not working. I think Toyota is phasing out the company who administers Remote Connect in favor for the Toyota App.

Over the past few months the Remote Connect App worked better than the Toyota App but now the Toyota App is more stable.

#34 ·
I'm using the "Toyota" app and not the "Remote Connect" app, which is really confusing because the support from Toyota doesn't differentiate when discussing the issue.

Anyways...Same issue here. Worked for about a month, then stopped communicating.
I believe that the error says something like "Communication with your vehicle is taking longer than expected" or something like that.

I Started a ticket with Toyota. They confirmed that this is an issue, and that they'd give me some update phone calls weekly, which have not happened.

Since then, I uninstalled, reinstalled.
Then removed my car's registration from connected services, uninstalled/reinstalled again, added my car. Got a new auth code, entered that in.

Now my app is saying Remote Activation Pending, so I can't even test unlocking/locking. It's been like that for about a week.

#35 ·
We picked up our 2020 RAV4 Trail on December 21st, and the Remote Connect Services worked for the first two weeks, and then just stopped. I did the uninstall-reinstall of the apps (both my Samsung Galaxy S10 as well as my wife's Pixel 3) to no avail. Tried through the SOS contact, at which time the lady who was helping me gave me a phone number to try. The lady I spoke with with Toyota said I needed to make a service appointment with my dealer and they would disconnect the battery and that this would reset the system and bring it back online... well, today was my service appointment and when they called me I was informed that it is still not fixed. The service manager informed me that this is a "Toyota issue" (isn't she Toyota?), and there is nothing they could do for me. So I have my car back, but no remote start (the fob is useless, as you have to be in throwing range of the car, so there is little use in starting the car for all of 12 seconds as I am walking towards it).

Naturally, this week in Central Alberta has had overnight low temperatures approaching -40C, and daytime highs only up to -30C! Would be nice to be able to start the car from my office, so it has 10 minutes of warm up time before getting in (the Remote Connect Services was one of the reasons we went with the 2020 RAV4!).

Sigh.

#36 ·
Here's another of the many discussions on remote connect problems, post #4 has a new fix that worked for his in the US, service disconnected the battery AND did something with the DCM (data control module) which is the cellular interface between the vehicle and Toyota telemetrics system.

#37 ·
I just got back from the dealer after having them look at my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid. I purchased the car on Dec 18 and the app last worked on Jan 2. I am using the Toyota app. Service dept had me talk to my salesman (great guy). He tried a couple of things, including using his phone. He called the remote connect helpline and we were told that iOS 13.3 broke the app. I don’t have an droid device to test with, so I’ll be asking co-workers to try with theirs next week. So... do you folks also have apple devices?

#40 ·
My iphone is on ios 13.3, Toyota app is v1.0.14 and is working fine, so the telemetics system is working, just not for 2020 vehicles, so it has something do with changes made on 2020 vehicles which is the only thing that's really changed.

#44 ·
Well I just disconnected by battery for ~30 minutes, then hooked it back up. The app is working. Here is exactly what I did:

• Disconnect the positive and let it sit for 30 min. For those that aren't aware, the battery is in the back underneath the side cargo net (U.S. passenger side). You can YouTube it and some 8 year old will show you exactly how to get to it.
  • Hook it back up
  • Turn on ignition. You will see "Loading" on the screen for a while.
  • Shut off the car.
  • Start it while pressing brake
  • Shut off the car.
  • App now updates properly and functions properly.
Let me know how this works for the rest of you.

EDIT: Also, no issues after disconnecting the battery. I initially had a battery and check engine light when just turning on the Ignition, but after actually starting the car they went away.

#47 ·
New 2020 HB same issues. Took me 6 hours of research to find wifi had switched to AT&T. Also that entune is just Alexa and no other apps. Dealer actually told me I didn't have remote anything and android auto not out yet (some help there). Toyota said I was setup on there end but they knew they had an issue. Told me to use key fob, but that doesn't work either. So I am here tagging this post in hopes of an update.

cheers.

#56 ·
Same problem. Remote services app stopped working 5 days after delivery of my RAV4 xle prem. After many times pressing the sos button and hours on the phone was told Toyota knew of the issue and was working on it with no timeline when this would be fixed. Still not working 35 days later and Toyota telling me they are still working on it came across this thread and tried ElPajarito10 advice. Worked like a charm!!!! Will repost in a week or so with status of app..... Thanks ElPajarito10!!!

#59 ·

I just purchased a 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid on Febrery 28th and I have the same problem where the app is not communicating with vehicle. Toyota says that there is a problem with the app and they are working on it. Does anybody else have this issue? How long? Did Toyota announce this issue?

#61 ·
Okay everyone... My experience is as follows:. Use the Toyota App for all remote functions. It will work, however in many cases if your phone has a system update or the Toyota App has been updated... you will have to unload/reload the Toyota app.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#64 ·
I have had my 2020 RAV4 for just under a month. The Toyota Remote connect system App has failed 2 times. Like everyone here, I did all the stuff and nothing worked. Finally I took the battery cable loose from the battery and let it sit for a minute or so, then reconnected.
Both times this cured my problem. Worth a try. If it works maybe someone could clue Toyota what makes it work again and then they can find the root problem and repair it.

#66 ·
I have a 2020 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium that I purchased a few weeks ago. I was using the Toyota app and it was working great. A few days ago it stopped connecting to the car. I found this discussion, disconnected my battery for 30 minutes and it fixed the issue. So thankful for the people in this forum.