Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya! I'm hoping someone can help me, my 1997 rav4 had been sat for the past 3/4 weeks and I went to get in it today but it won't unlock, the red light on the remote unlocking key fob (it's actually a key fob and key in one) is lighting up so assume the battery is OK in that, could the battery in the rav be dead? Would this stop the remote locking working? I can't unlock with they key in the door as this sets the alarm off and I'd have no way to stop the alarm. In a bit of a catch 22 situation. Any advice gratefully received. Thankyou

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Well the problem is almost certainly with the key, or with the RAV4. There is also a small chance that the area you are parked has a lot of radio interference affecting communication between the key and the RAV4. If you have parked in that area before without any problem I think we can rule out that slight possibility.

If you parked for 3-4 weeks ( and not 3/4 of a week) then there is a good chance that the RAV4's battery has died?. Does your alarm system not have flashing indicator light somewhere to warn off potential intruders? Is that light still flashing?

You are going to have to unlock the doors to confirm the problem. If the alarm goes off you should be able to stop it by turning on the ignition with the key. If that doesn't work then have a wrench ready to disconnect the battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts