Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Remote Start aftermarket and O.E.M. shut off concerns

12K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  MX5Racer 
#1 ·
Why does all the remote start feature from every where I go to install it myself or have a shop do it, has it set up when you open a door of any kind the vehicle shuts off? This is counter intuitive, this makes you ware out the starter twice to get moving in the vehicle once it is already started and warmed up. Any one find or experience any other way around this. I don't want the RAV4 to shut off after I remote started it. I should be able to open the door and put it in gear and just go. I get they THINK for safety the car should have someone's butt int he seat first before the engine comes on. But non of my other cars did this nor thing one I installed in my Chrysler 200. Let me know thank you

#3 ·
My wife's Rav4 had a key start and shuts off when opening the door. It's a Toyota after market starter installed by Toyota.

I have found that if you hold the unlock button for 30 seconds the engine will not shut off when opening the door. Then we have to use the key to open the door. Be careful when turning the key, there's no anti-grind feature on Toyota's after market remote starter setup. I believe this is why the engine normally shuts off when opening the driver's door.

Have a good day.

Reactions: IMRAV4U
#9 ·
Very very bad idea. The car may still shut off when you press the brake or put it in gear anyway. Not to mention the car will still shut off at whatever the max run time set on the remote start system is. Not good to be driving down the highway and have your car shut off. There are probably a multitude of unknown dangerous problems doing this would create that you would be liable for.

EDIT: Oh, I see Dr.Dyno already covered this. I'll leave it as a reiteration that this is a bad idea.

#6 ·
I NEVER thought about that, however I have to find the wiring schematic and see that this will work, because the switch being closed may NOT be directed through the ignition system and bypass it, but then again. Try to drive away with the door open... hmmm you are good my friend!

#7 ·
It's likely an anti theft feature to prevent someone from trying to drive away with your running car.
When I installed our remote start I wired it so it wouldn't shut off when opening the door or stepping on the brake. Result? The car drove away normally but then abruptly shut off when the remote start timed out. (n) I quickly reconnected the brake switch. I can still open the door w/o the engine shutting off but must use the key to do so.

#11 ·
You could always trade up to a Dodge RAM 2500 with the Cummings diesel engine! My son has one with a remote start and he never has to restart the truck when he gets in. ?

#12 ·
The vehicle shuts off because this is a built in safety feature. 3 things will shut your RES off when it is activated 1 opening a door This is so no one can just drive off in your unattended vehicle. 2 pressing the brake pedal in order to change form P to D also a feature to stop unwanted theft of the vehicle and 3 if you open the hood. These are all fail safe safety and security features built in to RES. And these are the function checks I have to perform when checking this function in my daily job.

#15 ·
Yes understood But there may be occasions when the doors may indeed be unlocked. All of these shut off features are built in by TMS as standard. RES is and always was meant for warming your car up prior to driving. This is especially relevant to wintry conditions where your defrosters etc can be set to turn on when the engine is started.

#14 ·
I currently drive a Honda Accord with Factory remote start and key-less entry all you do is get in push the brake pedal and hit the start button and it does not shut off. I am looking to buy an SUV with AWD and looked at the Crv but don't like the turbo and engine and the CVT. I like the new Rav 4 but no Android Auto and the remote start issue are a deal breaker for me. I did Email my concern to Toyota and 2 weeks later got a reply stating thank you for contacting them and they will save my concern. I guess they have some type of data base where they keep all the customer input for future use. So maybe if enough people do the same Toyota might just change this as they stated they do listen to customer input!

#16 ·
I put an aftermarket remote start in on my 2009 base. It is a bottom-of-the-line model but works fine for my needs. After remote starting, I have to open the door with the cut key because the FOB is disabled during remote starting (after it starts with 3 lock button pushes), but it does not shut off. I just put the key in the ignition, push the brake pedal, shift into the needed gear, and drive off. Even if someone broke into the car, it would be tough to steal it, because without the key in the ignition, touching the brake pedal (needed before shifting) kills the engine, plus the steering wheel is locked.

#17 ·
My DIY remote start works exactly the same except 2 lock pushes starts the engine. Works fine for us.

Reactions: jbwood5
#18 · (Edited)
Pretty simple when you go buy a rav4 new or used certified Ask for “VIP Toyota Genuine Alarm or Remote start”
If not walk away. The dealer is making more money on aftermarket(cheap) add on.
I have the VIP alarm with alarm/ remote start

any Thoughts reply

Attachments