Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought my Rav about a month ago (love it so far!) and finally got my remote start installed from the dealer. It's the Toyota one, because I use the SmartKey to do it (push lock 3x), but whenever I unlock the car, it shuts off automatically. They told me at the dealership that this was a safety thing so no one drives off with the car, but that didn't make sense to me as I've never seen a remote start do that. Anyone else have that issue?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi all,

I just bought my Rav about a month ago (love it so far!) and finally got my remote start installed from the dealer. It's the Toyota one, because I use the SmartKey to do it (push lock 3x), but whenever I unlock the car, it shuts off automatically. They told me at the dealership that this was a safety thing so no one drives off with the car, but that didn't make sense to me as I've never seen a remote start do that. Anyone else have that issue?
This is one of the times the dealer actually knows what they are talking about. The remote start(aftermarket) on my rav4 and camry operates the same way.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a factory remote start in 2017 XLE and it doesn`t turn off the engine when doors are being unlocked. It shuts off the engine when brake pedal is pressed. But in previous Toyota`s (Celica, Camry) it did shut off when unlocking the doors.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a factory remote start in 2017 XLE and it doesn`t turn off the engine when doors are being unlocked. It shuts off the engine when brake pedal is pressed. But in previous Toyota`s (Celica, Camry) it did shut off when unlocking the doors.
Op has smart key, remote smart is different in this aspect compared to traditional key.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
It is a safety feature. I installed my own remote start and didn't want it to shut off with unlocking/opening the door or touching the brake pedal so I modified the hookup to defeat those features.
Didn't leave it that way long. What would happen is you could drive away apparently as normal UNTIL the remote start timed out. Then the engine stopped. That happening to my wife just once had me reconnecting things as designed!

·
Registered
143 Posts
It is a safety feature. I installed my own remote start and didn't want it to shut off with unlocking/opening the door or touching the brake pedal so I modified the hookup to defeat those features.
Didn't leave it that way long. What would happen is you could drive away apparently as normal UNTIL the remote start timed out. Then the engine stopped. That happening to my wife just once had me reconnecting things as designed!
How did you install to defeat shutdown upon opening door? What remote start? Thx

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
How did you install to defeat shutdown upon opening door? What remote start? Thx

It's been several years so I don't remember exactly but I probably either disconnected the wire going to the dome light or connected it to 12V. I know that's how I defeated the brake pedal input. I also don't remember the brand but it was an aftermarket one off eBay that used the stock key FOB.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's been several years so I don't remember exactly but I probably either disconnected the wire going to the dome light or connected it to 12V. I know that's how I defeated the brake pedal input. I also don't remember the brand but it was an aftermarket one off eBay that used the stock key FOB.
Okay I believe there was a bypass method available on older models but Toyota closed that loop hole on the newer rav4's. I haven't seen a way to bypass the shutdown upon opening the door for the past couple of years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts