Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket remote start for my 2014 XLE. It doesn't have the smartkey system. When I called about it the dealer said I'd have to get a new key made since the fob and the key are together. Is this true and if so how much does it cost to get the new key made? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have remote start on mine. Not sure why you'd need a new key made. In Canada we get two remote keys and a valet key. I just use the valet key in winter to avoid the bulk of the remote key which isn't needed since the remote start has locks on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in NH/USA and when I bought mine they didn't give me a valet key (although I did get one for my 2012 Camry). I was a little skeptical when the installer told me I needed to get a valet key or do something to the current one. It didn't make sense to me...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
The reason they want another one is the need to sacrifice that key to get the immobilizer chip out of it. The chip is needed by the remote start system.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is a link to a Pictorial on a remote start install for your vehicle :
2013 rav4 remote start with keyless entry pictorial
The first 3 paragraphs give you some info on the valet H key you will need for the remote start system. Dealer prices for the key and the necessary programming ( and possible cutting ) can vary, so call around. It is also possible to get the valet H key off EBay for around $30 and program it yourself using a mini VCI TIS cable and TechStream software, also available on EBay for less than $60.

·
Registered
5 Posts
H-key Bypass Ready for Python/Viper

Stopped at a local dealer today to check on getting a remote starter on my 2015 RAV4 and he Happened to be doing an install on another 2015 tomorrow. He said today the firmware was released for the 2015 and you would no longer have to give up a key. He's doing the install on the other 2015 tomorrow so I'll Che k tomorrow to see how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts