Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the factory installed, remote start feature on the new-to-us 2011 RAV4 and it seems to work quite well. I've never had this option before and I have some questions for those familiar with this feature.

After starting the vehicle remotely, when I go to open the vehicle door everything shuts down including the engine etc.. Is this normal? i.e. a security feature to prevent thieves from driving off with it after remote starting it.

Secondly, if I set everything to defrost (front and rear) and max fan, desired heat setting, heated seat on etc., will it retain these settings when I remote start it.

Third question ... unrelated to the remote start, it seems that when the fan is in the top three (bar indicators) setting, the fan has a fairly loud low drone to it which goes away when reducing the fan speed. Is this drone normal on the highest settings? Our older Camry's were much quieter i.e. you could hear the high speed on the fan without any low drone.

Thanks in advance. ~ BugJr ~

·
Super Moderator
10,212 Posts
1. Yep it is a security and safety feature. The system connects to the dome light circuit so it knows when any door is opened. I installed mine myself and didn't connect that feature preferring the brake switch to shut it off.

2. Yes, the heat (or AC) comes on just the way you left it so you may need to "turn it up" to hotter than comfortable before getting out.

3. Many time a blower drone is caused by an imbalance in the impeller caused by little "visitors" leaving nesting materials. It happens on many cars and trucks. On the RAV4 the blower is easily removed out of the bottom of the housing to check.

Reactions: BugJr

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3. Many time a blower drone is caused by an imbalance in the impeller caused by little "visitors" leaving nesting materials. It happens on many cars and trucks. On the RAV4 the blower is easily removed out of the bottom of the housing to check.
Thanks for the response Fred. Can I access the blower from underneath the dash or is it more of a complicated procedure?

·
Super Moderator
10,212 Posts
Thanks for the response Fred. Can I access the blower from underneath the dash or is it more of a complicated procedure?
Yep it's easy. I just checked ours the other day for another member. You release two tabs on the cover over the passenger's feet with your thumbs and drop it down. Then unplug the blower and remove 3 or 4 Phillips screws to drop the blower out.

Reactions: grmuller

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect ... thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,212 Posts
Perfect ... thanks.
You're welcome and good luck.
BTW, there is a "THANKS" button, at least there's one on the bottom right of each post on my Classic screen. I encourage folks to use it especially for actual certified techs in the business like member FixIt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts