Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently, we had 2008 V6 Limited, but it was totaled out. We really like these though, and so we thought we'd upgrade to a 2011 or 2012 (never liked the body style after this). Found what we thought was a decent one on the other side of our state. We drove 2 hours to go check it out over the weekend, and found that it had an aftermarket remote start on it that was causing an issue with the door locks (both working and not working).

The dealer removed the remote start system yesterday, but I'm concerned that if the vehicle harness was spliced into, that after removal, we could experience some issues down the road due to shorts or breaks in the OEM vehicle harness.

I don't know how these are installed, if they are usually plug and play, or if they need to tap into the harness for any signals/power. Am I being paranoid? Or is this something that I should be worried about? Just wondering if we need to keep looking or not. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
What is one step below paranoid? That's you. :wink
No worries mate! You'd spend more time trying to find a problem that likely isn't there than fixing it if it does happen (which it won't).

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If removing the rem start fixes the door lock issue, I'd say you're good to go. What you should do is the usual pre-purchase inspection and enter the vin into the Toyota owners website to check the maintenance and recall records of the car you're looking at. 2011 & 12s seem to be pretty bullet proof cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the dealer claims the original harness was not cut into at all, which makes me feel better. And after looking at some of the remote start kits install instructions, I see that some use jumper harnesses to plug into the existing harness connections rather than splicing into the harness. I feel better about this, but we're still disappointed with the dealer for only finding this issue the day we drove 2 hours to see it, considering they've had it listed for 40+days.

Honestly, we are surprised at how hard it is to find one of these near us with the options we want. Finding some, but most are a 2 hour or more drive from us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Well, the dealer claims the original harness was not cut into at all, which makes me feel better. And after looking at some of the remote start kits install instructions, I see that some use jumper harnesses to plug into the existing harness connections rather than splicing into the harness. I feel better about this, but we're still disappointed with the dealer for only finding this issue the day we drove 2 hours to see it, considering they've had it listed for 40+days.
Honestly, we are surprised at how hard it is to find one of these near us with the options we want. Finding some, but most are a 2 hour or more drive from us.
While the dealer may have had it for 40 days or so, they might not have used it all that much. Hopefully it'll work out nicely for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

Does the car have PUSH BUTTON START? The reason I ask is because when I was looking into getting a remote starter I was told by 2 different places that ONLY PUSH TO START rav4's can use the T HARNESS! If you have the key (like I have) then they have to cut into the wiring harness and either use T TAPS or SOLDER the connections.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does have the push button start, yes. That's a good bit of knowledge. My fear was exactly that though, that it might have been soldered or t-tapped. Sounds like from the replies here it most likely was not.

Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Thou shalt not fear!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other thing that occurred to me is that the battery might have been a bit low. I've read that if the battery gets low, some of these aftermarket systems start freaking out a bit. When the dealer brought it up for us to drive, the locks were acting up, and we had to manually open everything but the drivers door from inside. The car sat idling for 5 or 10 minutes while I was doing my walk around and checking everything out, and suddenly the locks were working fine. Since they've had the car so long, makes me wonder if the car sat that whole time and the battery was slowly going down, which is what caused the issue finally on the day we went to see it.

At this point, my wife is looking at other vehicle options. It's been very difficult to find a RAV4 just as we want near us, so last night, we looked at a 2014 Honda Pilot, a 2013 Highlander, and then a 2011 RAV4 with Navigation (don't want the Nav, rather have the JBL sound w/ 6-disc CD changer). Still really likes the RAV4, but now seriously considering the Honda Pilot. While not the original point of this thread, in the end, I'll at least let everyone know what we end up with.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts