Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2015 RAV4 LE, I added remote start option. The dealer gave me 2 choices: $500 for Toyota remote start or $299 for other brand. I paid $500 for Toyota remote start. But I'm not sure if I had Toyota remote start installed. The remote start is not on the Toyota standard key. On the back of remote start push bottom, I can see CATX1B. I'm not sure if CATX1B is Toyota brand.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Toyota "factory remote start" available and installable only by dealers would definitely use your key fob to start your car. Aftermarket remote start units are always supplied with two additional fobs. Some can be programmed so that the Toyota factory fob can be used to start/stop the vehicle also. That is what my dealer had installed on my 2015 RAV Limited. I choose to use the factory remote so I only have to carry one. (Although the after market remote has a MUCH longer range.)

Now if you can not use your factory remote to start your RAV using the new Toyota unit, go back and ask to see a new unit in the box. There should be some information to glean from that. You can also tell them you want it programmed so that you can use your factory fob to start the vehicle. Hope that helps!

By the way, the aftermarket unit my Toyota dealer had installed cost $349. The factory remote start would have cost $700.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
When I bought my 2015 RAV4 LE, I added remote start option. The dealer gave me 2 choices: $500 for Toyota remote start or $299 for other brand. I paid $500 for Toyota remote start. But I'm not sure if I had Toyota remote start installed. The remote start is not on the Toyota standard key. On the back of remote start push bottom, I can see CATX1B. I'm not sure if CATX1B is Toyota brand.
A Google search for CATX1B shows it to be made by VOXX Electronics, a division of Audiovox:

VOXX Electronics : CATX1B : Home

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an aftermarket remote starter. Now I don't know what to do. I bought brand new RAV4 from dealer and paid $529 for Toyota remote starter. When I pickup the car, I asked if it's a Toyota remote starter. I was told it's Toyota remote starter. Now I called the dealer, they said that I bought aftermarket remote starter. I signed paper that remote starter was listed under Aftermarket. It was my mistake signing a paper didn't check all items. But they don't have an aftermarket remote starter sale at that high price.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's an aftermarket remote starter. Now I don't know what to do. I bought brand new RAV4 from dealer and paid $529 for Toyota remote starter. When I pickup the car, I asked if it's a Toyota remote starter. I was told it's Toyota remote starter. Now I called the dealer, they said that I bought aftermarket remote starter. I signed paper that remote starter was listed under Aftermarket. It was my mistake signing a paper didn't check all items. But they don't have an aftermarket remote starter sale at that high price.
Push to get reimbursed the difference.

Aftermarket is better anyway. The Toyota remote start that uses the key fob will only work the distance the fob will, which isn't that far. If you are in your house and try to lock/unlock your doors, do they? If it can't then you couldn't start the car either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I thought that Toyota only offered a factory remote start option on the RAV4.4 with Push-to-Start. That would be the Limited. They don't have one for the regular key RAV4.4's. That is why I ( and others on this forum ) installed an after-market system.

The system in your RAV4 is probably the CodeAlarm CA4051. This is not a bad unit and if installed by an authorized Audiovox dealer, has a lifetime warranty. Being as there probably isn't a Toyota factory system available for your RAV, demand that they provide a warranty on the after-market system, if you can't get a refund.

Here is a link to the warranty card you should have received :
http://www.voxxtechservices.com/docs/common/CA4051/CA4051_WC.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts