Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im trying to get a remote start for my girlfriend's 2005 Rav4 S. I have researched them and found that viper has a good quality remote start for a decent price. but i want to know, is there any way that Toyota can install an OEM one? id like to have one from the factory backed by toyota so i dont kill the resell value. any ideas? links? 8)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Aftermarket doesn't kill resale. DIY installs can effect it though. Have a reputable dealer install one and thats pretty much what most Auto dealers out there do. They send it out to a shop that installs these things and then the shop backs their own product Toyota may not unless you can get a factory unit but I don't know much about that. I'm getting one installed in mine very soon from a local auto custom shop. Too cold now to do it myself and they also warranty it.
Insurance (mine) won't cover the vehicle if it burns due to electrical problems if I were to install it myself but having a professional shop do it doesn't effect my insurance. Heard horror stories. Can't afford to loose my RAV.

Hope it helps. Here's some of what we disgussed on here already.http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1842&highlight=

Later. M.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah i know a couple good places that could do the work for me, but id like to have factory if all possible. i know they have a remote start for a avalon, and for the new 06 rav4's but i havent heard much if any about one for a 05

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't know why people are so hesitant to call the dealers or parts department for questions like availablity of an item. they will know more than us. but if you're not going to pick up the phone and call, just no that none of us has heard of a remote start as oem for models before 2006. 2006 may still not have it.

Like my dad, you're a huge fan of oem stuff. as far as alarms go, it's definitely less stuff for more money. you can get a state of the art james bond alarm for $600. Autostart on a regular alarm for $350-500 depending on where you live. A simple alarm will be much less. no one will ever see under the hood to notice an aftermarket part. dealers expect to see aftermarket alarms and will not be surprised to see one installed. the resale value you'll get on a car with a stock alarm vs aftermarket is negligible. That price depends on so many other factors that override your alarm issue.

be aware that some alarm installers have gained the reputation of copying down your address, installing your alarm, coming to your house in the middle of the night and breaking into your car. it happpens, so definitely take time to find a trusted installer. no one knows where you live b/c you haven't disclosed it in your profile, so we can't help you recommend one.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i live in greensboro, nc. and i know of a couple places that i have used before for my audio, and they are very dependable i dont really have an issue with that.

i have called the dealer, they just gave me mixed answers... i called one time and they were like... 329.99 installed and then i called again to check for an appointment and they were like.. we dont have that part. so i was just checking here to see if anyone has had experience with this issue. Rice Toyota is the only toyota dealership really around, at least within a 40 mile radius i think... idk i guess ill call the other dealership maybe they will be allitle more iintelligent. but if anyone else has any ideas still open :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Be sure to get the model number of the specific unit when you ask for pricing. It would be tough to compare prices on a generic "remote start" without realizing what alarm model it is. You will get a variety of prices if you don't specific or at least ask which one the shop is offering. Again, DEI is good. Viper remote looks fugly, but it works.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, i have called 2 other dealerships and they have said there isnt anything out now. i might just have to settle for after market. and hey, if all else fails and the new owner doesnt like remote start im sure we can get it taken off and restored back to the original state. im thinking Viper 160XV MSRP $239.99 and it doesnt look much differant then the DEI ones ive seen as uglyness goes. Agreed?

·
Registered
875 Posts
DEI is actually a huge company that makes over 15 different alarm systems including the VIPER. Those remotes definitely look nicer than mine which has fugly green and red buttons. The size is about the same. Installed under $400 is not bad at all. Enjoy.

That antenna thing in the photo right above the remotes works very well. Your remote should be able to connect with your car at a pretty long distance. As long as it's not around a corner and you can see the car, it should work. Pretty impressive actually.

Here's a discussion about your model: http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?s=2c1d4d219ab8b5e1aec85f784b94b635&showtopic=15214

I only just briefly researched this just now, but i came across a forum where someone's recommending an alarm if you plan to install it yourself. Apparently the customer service was great: http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?s=d9e765d76d7fc3c5047e7976f6cc23cc&p=443574&page=2

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thank you, i think i might end up going with the viper after asking like 2 rav4 forums then asking 3 dealerships and some toyota factory part supplier i guess there is no such thing as a factory remote start.. which kinda sucks... but i think it will be ok...the viper has gotten good reviews and such. but i will be making the appointment next week :) and im getting it for 291 installed so hey! not bad :) thanks for all the help fellas.

·
Registered
875 Posts
$291 installed?...what a deal! AWesome! This alarm w/ remote start feature will be much better than anything Toyota will give you as OEM. THe price you're paying for the VIPER is much better too. You will love this new accessory. Have fun and don't scare too many old folks.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been told, when shopping around for one that I would need to buy an add on box for under the seat and an extra key to use chip.

Close to $200 added to standard install.

Keep this in mind

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm i hope that is not the case... they just told me to bring an extra key.. but ive made the appointment for this coming thursday

1 - 13 of 13 Posts