Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm getting old and would like to put remote starter on my 2010 RAV4 base. I read about two immobilizer versions - with G and dot on the key. For G type I would need immobilizer bypass module. Correct?

But I have a dot on the key. From what I read it's older style and I don't require immobilizer bypass module. Correct?

So I need to buy just remote starter (need the simplest one) and install it, that's it?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The dot means your car has the immobiliser. You need a bypass. You may want to consider having a remote starter installed professionally since they can be complicated and some places can do it inexpensively. The remote starter will not have any instructions and I have gone through with the diy and could not get it to work. No place would or could fix my install. I also blew up the bypass. I ended getting a Compustar installed by a shop and the price was only $300 CAD (no tax) which included the unit, 2 remote, antenna and transponder bypass. So no hassle with a cheap price.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am getting a remote start for my 2009, I4 base, auto, FWD. It will be a Christmas present from my wife. My key has a dot and definitely an immobilizer. The brand is MPC and supposedly they provide a link to installation instructions. Amazon had these for 10% off last week (with coupon) so I had my wife jump on it and told her to give it to me for a gift. I'll let the board know how it works out but it won't be until after the first of the year. I have seen some posts and You Tube videos on installation so I am fairly confident I can do the install.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I am getting a remote start for my 2009, I4 base, auto, FWD. It will be a Christmas present from my wife. My key has a dot and definitely an immobilizer. The brand is MPC and supposedly they provide a link to installation instructions. Amazon had these for 10% off last week (with coupon) so I had my wife jump on it and told her to give it to me for a gift. I'll let the board know how it works out but it won't be until after the first of the year. I have seen some posts and You Tube videos on installation so I am fairly confident I can do the install.
Good luck on your install but don't expect too much help if you have a problem and ask a shop to trouble shoot. You would have better luck if the brand is carried by the shop.

·
Registered
162 Posts

I have this system on my 2017 sequoia. Simple install. Did it myself.
Get the T harness and its plug n play simple.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good luck on your install but don't expect too much help if you have a problem and ask a shop to trouble shoot. You would have better luck if the brand is carried by the shop.
I got it installed, but it was the toughest installation of any accessory I have ever installed. There was no T Tap wire so everything was strip-wrap-solder-and tape. I worked over 3 days with about 4-5 hours each day. Instructions for the MPC product are lousy, even when you download the tip sheet. This is a 2009 base+. I don't recommend the MPC base product for this vehicle which has the regular cut key and FOB. It does work but only after a couple of hours of troubleshooting and minor help from MPC tech service. The operation is not great. It takes 45 to 60 seconds for the vehicle to start from when the dash lights/parking lights come on. The key FOB is disabled once started so to turn it off, you have to manually unlock the door with cut key, and either hit the brake or hit the door lock button twice. Of course most of the time you are going to put your key in the ignition, turn it to run and drive off. I would not do this job again with this kit on a 2009 RAV4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts