Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps it's a coincidence, however after having an aftermarket remote starter installed, I've noticed the Power Back Door and Rear Wipers no longer work and am stymied to what could be the cause. At first I only was aware that the rear wiper was not working, and blamed it on a bad motor or blown fuse. It's been snowing and pretty icy so I jumped to the assumption the rear wiper was on and burned out, however the powered tailgate does not lift either.
When I press the PBD button next to steering wheel, the MID displays "Unlock doors to open back door" (yes they're unlocked). When using the key fob to open the PBD I don't get the long beeeep sound anymore, just a few (2-3) beeps in succession.

Vehicle is a 2019 XLE AWD Canadian Model.
The remote starter was not installed at the dealership, however it was done at the place recommended by the dealership as they don't seem to do the work themselves. The remote starter was programmed with my original key fobs to start up on the third press of the lock button, but also received additional key fobs designed for longer range (Compustar RF-1WR3-AM, ~1000ft range).

I have to wait until Monday for the install shop to open so I can call them, however it was quite the pain not having the rear door working when getting groceries.

I suspect the programming for the remote starter was done incorrectly, however I can't figure out how to reset the PBD or get rear wipers to work. I have checked several fuses and they appear fine, and I've also disconnected the battery for several minutes in an attempt to "reset" the vehicle (hey it works for computers!)

The vehicle shuts off after I open a door (to press the defrost buttons for instance), however that's another issue (read: "security feature" I've been told).

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
There's a list of items in the manual that must be reinitialized after the 12V battery has been disconnected/replaced which they should have done before they did the install, the PBD is on the list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a list of items in the manual that must be reinitialized after the 12V battery has been disconnected/replaced which they should have done before they did the install, the PBD is on the list.
Thanks Quickdtoo, I followed this advice with no luck.
The only thing the manual suggest for the PBD after a reconnected battery is to closed the back door manually. This was quite a feat considering I had to open it manually first. A stroller and a car seat prevented me from making this an easy task but once I opened and closed the door manually, there was no change. I opened the door manually and was able to close the door with the PBD button, but still unable to open it.

I will have to wait until Monday and make some phone calls.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Double check all fuses under the dash are
1. not blown
2. in the correct spot and not misplaced in the wrong slot. I had a similar issue and it turns out it was due to a misplaced fuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For closure: Brought it back to the shop that did the install, it was a loose wiring harness. The rear wiper was on the same harness. However it was connected it allowed the PBD to close electrically, but not open.
The tech said it was 'human error'.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts