Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, does anyone have any experience with remote engine starters? As I no longer have a garage I'm thinking it would be nice to climb into a nice warm car this winter when I head off to work. Will it work with a manual transmission? (assuming I park in nutral of course!) Thanks for any comments, pro or con. Jamie.

·
Registered
875 Posts
yes,...

Don't you hate researching for stuff that doesn't exist?...well, you wont' have to, b/c there definitely ARE alarms that have remote start available specifically for manual transmission. You may have trouble finding someone to install it correctly though. It's DEI that makes a ton of alarms with remote start. www.directed.com look for info here. I haven't been to the site in awhile. If there's nothign available there, it will at least bea good lead. Good luck.

Remote start by the way is well worth it. Fun stuff and i use it to warm up the car every morning. Try not to scare the little kids and seniors away with an auto start vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Re: yes,...

zoomie said:
Remote start by the way is well worth it. Fun stuff and i use it to warm up the car every morning.
Off topic from the question... but had to mention "remote start" will be a factory option on the new 2006 model 8)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Remote starts will work with a manual but you will need to bypass the clutch saftey of your car, Unsually a switch on the pedal that is depressed when the clutch it ingaged. Your car won't start if you don't have the clutch pressed in so you have to fool it.

Make sure you leave the car in nuetral because it will lurch forward if it's not and you try and start it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
VeroLAN said:
Make sure you leave the car in nuetral because it will lurch forward if it's not and you try and start it.
The remote starts designed for use with a manual transmission usually have a special shut down sequence you have to go through that ensures it's in neutral to arm it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i looked into it here.....and OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

Here (being Switzerland) they want 2'500 Swiss Francs for the unit (no alarm, just remote starter)! That works out to 1'940 US$, or 2'275 CDN$!!!!!!!!! LOL, can you guys believe that crap?? For that price I can rent a garage across the street for 2 years! These people realy have no idea here...........

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zoomie said:
Hahha, i paid $350 for mine. I'm sure you can pick one up for around that price or less if you get it independent of an alarm.
Only if I buy from the US or Canada and have it shipped over here.... the ones here have no alarm so that's not an issue. I'm wondering if there are differences between American and European models (of the Rav) that would mess up an american bought remote starter on an European model Rav4??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ended up ordering a Galxy 5100RS-2Way for MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS from www.autoalarmpro.com 249 US$. It should be here in about 2 weeks and they set up each system for your specific car in their shop before sending them out so it should almost be "plug&play". The guy on the phone (Derek Weber) was great, and though I can not yet endorse the product, I can endorse the helpfulness of this sales tech. They have tons of products but only two remote starters available specificaly for manual transmissions, one with an alarm system and one without. I took the one with, and I may as well mention that this is the only site I've found where they actualy advertise the manual transmission specific starters. I'll attempt the install myself as the tech explained everything to me and told me that he would be sending an insanely detailed step by step install guide...... I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Link to the manual transmission remote starter page: http://www.autoalarmpro.com/r_starters_for_manual_trans_

M

·
0 Posts
hi, why are they for manuals only, and not for auto's..mine being an auto ...............is there a tecnical reason ??

·
Registered
97 Posts
magik said:
hi, why are they for manuals only, and not for auto's..mine being an auto ...............is there a tecnical reason ??
Normally they are for Auto's but in this case the person was searching for one specificly for a manual.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
magik said:
If you go to their homepage www.autoalarmpro.com and click on remote starters on the left hand side you will find the available starters for automatics...... they're cheaper too!! (Doh!)

A

·
0 Posts
Please keep us updated on how the installation goes, if all goes well I will be buying the same system. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ants in my Pants said:
Please keep us updated on how the installation goes, if all goes well I will be buying the same system. Thanks for the link!
No problem, it should be here in a couple of weeks. FYI: If you already have a factory keyless entry system, you will need one of their universal bypass kits. It's like 34$ but if you order over the phone you can get 10% off..... that's a savings of 3.40$ BIG TIME MAN!!!! Here's the link:

http://www.autoalarmpro.com/universal_bypass_kits

·
Registered
875 Posts
Awesome! Congratulations on finding the remote starter kit. You're going to love it! It's definitely my favorite modification and if you can really install it youself, you would have beat me on the price. Job well done. Let us know how it turns out and share some stories about scarying old people who have never heard of autostart. hahah.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bngski said:
how was the install on the remote start?
Pretty easy actualy, alarmpro.com is very thorough with detailed model specific instructions, it's basicaly plug&play. And you can always call Derek there if you get stuck. System works great and is awesome with the cold weather we've been having!

·
Registered
93 Posts
thnks, just talked to derek and was very helpful with my questions, now i just have to ask dealership if we have this chip in the key that way i'll know if i needed that bypass thing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts