Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Remote Starter Update !!!

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Heinznfries44 
#1 ·
Well I just finished installing a Galaxy 5100 remote starter for manual transmissions with security alarm from www.autoalarmpro.com The system is working great, and should be sweet when winter finaly hits! (it's already freezing up the windows over night.) The quality seems tight, and the install was for the most part pretty straight forward. Anyone interested can ask me more specific questions if they like, and anyone actualy deciding to order should ask specificaly for Derek Weber, he's the Tech that walked me through a couple things, so now he's realy up to speed with the rav-4. I also needed a bypass kit for my OEM keyless entry, it was about 30$ extra, also from autoalarmpro.com.

"grey" areas on the install:

finding the proper tach wire ,each injector has 4, you need to find the one wire that is a different color on each injector, 3 of them always stay the same. It's the third one from the windshield. You can also look behind the glove box and try to probe for it but I never found it there at all.

finding the "door ajar trigger" wire, don't follow the instructions, unscrew the nipple in the door frame that gets pushed in when the door closes. Find the matching colored wire that runs under the driver's seat. There is a wiring harness that runs along the floor from the driver's side kick panel, and another one that runs towards it from the rear of the car. These two wiring harnesses meet at the middle of the driver's seat, form a "Y", and then some of them go under the seat.... this is where you need to find the color match for the wire, GOING UNDER THE SEAT.

Setting up the coil of the "keyless entry by-pass kit". Again, don't follow the instructions and stick the coil directly to the metal cylinder (there is a clear and black plastic cover that you need to slide off of the cylinder). Stick the coil to the underside of the plastic cover, on the black plastic ring that is the sensor for the key's signal, then run the wire down the cylinder while sliding the plastic cover back on. Make sure there is a constant 12V current going to the by-pass box (I tapped into the System's constant fused current). If you don't already have keyless entry you don't need this by-pass kit. If you do need it, there is a plug with a red wire, a black wire and a yellow wire.... you can gas the yellow wire, you don't need it and it's not plugged into anything.

That's about it, everything else was pretty straight forward. Can't wait to step into a nice, warm, de-iced car every morning this winter! Peace!

See less See more
#3 ·
zoomie said:
You're gunna love it even more. autostart's the bomb ain't it?
Yeah it's pretty cool. I actualy saw it advertised somewhere to use in the summer whith the A/C on when it's hot out.... to me that just seems like overkill. Using it to warm up in the winter is logical to me, but I guess if I lived somewhere like Arizona or something I might be tempted to use it in the summer! I just don't want it to become a "novelty" that I use all the time, I hope I can restrain myself to the functional use it was meant for (although I did start it twice last night from my kitchen just for kicks? lol). Have a good one!

#5 ·
carmusic said:
do you have a coded key for your car? because i have a 2005 RAV4 with keyless entry but my key is absolutely normal (not coded like in hondas) so will i need the bypass system??
I'm not sure I get what you mean...... my key has the lock/unlock buttons built into it, do you have some seperate little remote that controls your doors? If it's a seperate remote you shouldn't need the bypass kit, if it's built into your key you will. Derek the Tech there could answer that for you easy... you'd just need to explain what type of system you have.

The way mine works is this (as best as I understand it): My key sends a signal to the plastic cover of the ignition cylinder which has a wire coil sensor built into it. This sensor reads my key's unique code when contact is made between the key and the cylinder, without contact, the ignition won't remotely fire because the computer is reading an empty cylinder. The bypass kit uses the spare key (in a box) to send it's (the key's) signal (via a coil wire transmitter) to the code sensor found in the cylinder cover, tricking the 'puter into thinking the key is in the ignition, and leting the starter function properly.

If you just have keyless entry by way of a seperate remote, odds are you don't even have the same ignition cylinder with the key sensor like I do. I imagine the remote starter system will just tap into the power lock/unlock wires like normal, and your current keyless entry will be simply back-up. Don't get me wrong, it's not ruined or anything (my key still works to lock/unlock the doors), but you can store it somewhere in case something ever goes wrong. Why carry two remotes with the key when one remote will do it all? The system comes with two remotes, I carry one with the key, the other I leave in my house as backup. You'll just have two as back up , that's all.

Long story short....... no, I don't think you'll need the by-pass kit! lol

#7 ·
Thinking of installing remote start very soon. With the prices out there I was just going to send it out to be done. I'm still thinking.

You say this system you guys have is "the bomb". How much homework have you done and will it save me from having to do more. I'm all for passing notes in class so anything you guys got will help me. Price (Can.), 1-5 on an easy scale (don't want it to catch fire), and is the best way to get it ordering online?

I had remote start on a Van and loved it. I burned probably 5-10% more fuel every month (V6) but a luxury my wife and I both want back for those times when the mercury dips to -37C. My last system was done at the dealer as a freebe. Alot out there now to choose from. Sorting the crap is the key. Let me know. Thanks. M.

#8 ·
Not a novelty?...hahah, you're not gunna be able to resist! It's gunna be fun teasing old people, showing off to kids, warming up the car, and turning on the a/c. I use autostart every morning to heat up the car before i hop in for work. It's the best. anyone thinking of getting it, go for it! if you've done something recently to deserve it,...buy it! if you plan to have someone install it like i did (i don't know squat about electronics), then your shop will probably be able to supply you the kit with a discount.

#9 ·
Marcutio said:
How much homework have you done and will it save me from having to do more. I'm all for passing notes in class so anything you guys got will help me. Price (Can.), 1-5 on an easy scale (don't want it to catch fire), and is the best way to get it ordering online?
As far as I know the only way to get the system I have is online. Install on a 1-5 would be a 4 I guess. Depending on how handy you are, you need a multi-meter (AC/DC volt meter) and a second person to help out makes a big difference. As for doing my homework, I talked to the Toyota dealer in my hometown and they were absolutely no help, they said nothing would work with the Rav-4, I also talked to a company in Quebec and finaly opted for Autoalarmpro.com. The choice was easy as I needed a remote starter for manual transmissions, and I wanted an alarm as well..... for manual transmissions there's realy not much out there. This is my first remote starter so it's hard for me to compare it to anything..... that said it's working great and exactly the way it's supposed to, only time will tell I guess. The price for the system, Galaxy 5100 with alarm was 249 US$ plus shipping. Good hunting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.