Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Limited with OEM, Toyota installed, cross bars.
I have been considering removing them but am concerned about the infamous leaks.
I don't have any leaks at all now but if I remove them will that increase the likelihood of a leak starting?

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,711 Posts
I have a 2020 Limited with OEM, Toyota installed, cross bars.
I have been considering removing them but am concerned about the infamous leaks.
I don't have any leaks at all now but if I remove them will that increase the likelihood of a leak starting?
Probably not. Just be gentle and try not to shake or pull on the roof rails.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I don't believe those bolt holes are the ones on the rack that have leaking issues. Here is a video which explains the ones where water is getting through

And that's why in post#2 I said to be gentle and not shake or pull on the rails when you remove the crossbars. You might damage those flimsy paper gaskets on the clips or even break one of those plastic clips if you jerk on the rail.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,303 Posts
And that's why in post#2 I said to be gentle and not shake or pull on the rails when you remove the crossbars. You might damage those flimsy paper gaskets on the clips or even break one of those plastic clips if you jerk on the rail.
Why not get the updated clips with much thicker sealing washers?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Why not get the updated clips with much thicker sealing washers?
Those "updated clips" look to be identical to the earlier ones as far as the actual plastic nubs go. The only change is that the "seal" or washer on the new ones is made of an orange colored sponge or foam material and slightly thicker instead of a thin black paper mastic. I and others don't think the new orange ones are much better or will last longer. Just use butyl rubber instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts