Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all forum members!

I am a new member of rav4world.com, and would like to ask whether anybody has knowledge on how to remove the standard OEM Toyota RAV4.2 3-spoke SRS Airbag Steering Wheel.

I am not keen on doing a Do-It-Yourself job without any concrete knowledge with instructions on how to remove the steering wheel, from the horn main SRS Airbag cover to the main steering wheel rim itself.

If any rav4world.com members are able to source a set of instructions or can shed some light on how to remove the standard OEM Toyota RAV4.2 3-spoke SRS Airbag Steering Wheel, I would appreciate the shared knowledge. Looking forward to hearing from any of the forum members - thank you for taking the time to read this posting!

Regards,
rav4lution

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i believe in the manual or somewhere it says to remove the srs air bag sensor before you do that or air bag might come out.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I AM PROVIDING THIS INFORMATION IN GOOD FAITH. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE DONE BY SOMEONE WHO IS MECHANICALLY INCLINED AND FEEL COMFORTABLE WORKING ON AN AIRBAG. IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT SAYING THIS TO OFFEND ANYONE I ONLY WANT TO PROTECT MYSELF AND HELP OUT AT THE SAME TIME.

ok first thing you have to do is diconnect the battery for about 5 mins or longer. this will let the srs capacitors discharge. you will find 2 access panels on the sides of the steering wheel remove these. underneath you will see 1 torx skrew on each side. once you have unscrewed the 2 torx screws. you have to use a pick to pop them out be careful not to break the tabs that hold them in. once the torx screws are out the air bag will lift out. take your time the wire that fires the air bag has a metal lock tab. once the air bag is out you have to disconnet the various wires and the abs spiral ring. you must take extra care with the abs spiral ring. as soon as you remove it use 2 zip ties to hold the inner ring and outer ring from rotating. if the abs spiral ring rotates more the 2.5 times in either direction you will damage or even distroy it internally. remove the nut that holds on the steering wheel down and using a steering wheel removal tool pop of the steering wheel.

i highly recommend buying the factory service manuals they may be expensive but well worth the money.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts