Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to remove my spare tire cover on my Sport and plasti-dip the back wheel to match my other four black wheels and the rest of my black-on-silver theme. Took a couple days to grow on me, but I love the look of it! I was afraid it would look like I was trying too hard to be wrangler-esque, but it gave it the edge I wanted without being 'too much.' I think the black adds something special too. The greatest part about this mod is that it was easy and cheap and if I ever decide I don't like it, I can just pop my spare cover right back on--like it never even happened.

This was WAY easier than doing the other four wheels since I could just pop it off to do it. I also only did three coats instead of the five on my other wheels since it does not encounter the same harsh road conditions. Photos attached!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you. It doesn't look as large in person as it appears here. It mostly is the angle I took the picture at that amplifies the appearance of it (looking down and close up). When I get a chance later I can post one from further away so you can see what I mean. But I definitely can see what you are saying being a concern for some especially since it is now in plain sight stuck on the back.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Ravsport08, looks very good, the plasti-dipped spare wheel!

My RAV4 aluminium rims start to show white spots, like corrosion. And I think it happend when I sprayed rim cleaner on them.
The rim cleaner instructions said: "Remove cleaner with water after 2-3 minutes!" So probably it's no harmless soap...

I thought about plasti-dipping the rims, but what about the wear by pressure washers and curbs?
Does plasti-dipping come of more easy than conventional spray paint?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ravsport08, looks very good, the plasti-dipped spare wheel!

My RAV4 aluminium rims start to show white spots, like corrosion. And I think it happend when I sprayed rim cleaner on them.
The rim cleaner instructions said: "Remove cleaner with water after 2-3 minutes!" So probably it's no harmless soap...

I thought about plasti-dipping the rims, but what about the wear by pressure washers and curbs?
Does plasti-dipping come of more easy than conventional spray paint?
Thanks! And yes mine have that corrosion as well. It's apparently common with the alloy sport wheels. I've had them dipped for over a year now and they lasted a harsh NJ winter and everything else. Carwashes and pressure washers/brushes seem to be no problem for them as I have not had an issue and I go through peridocally when I don't have time to hand wash.

Every once in a while, I get a small nick from a rock or something but it can easily be repaired/filled in with more plasti dip and a fine point brush. The more coats you have, the better. I have five on mine and it's very robust. The plasticky/rubbery nature allows it to hold up well.

Regarding curbs, I am always extremely careful to avoid hitting any curbs with my wheels because that type of abrasion will scratch the plasti dip and ruin the look as it would with regular wheels (but worse cause the allow shines through). When you park it, just be cautious and take it slow because even if you hit a curb softly the tire sidewall will protect it first. The plasti dip also covers up any existing curb rash really nicely. Any more questions let me know.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good to know that you sprayed on multiple layers. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts