Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..bought a '99..not happy with look of the Toyota fender flares and the additional width they add..parts dept told me that the flares have mounting cladding under them and taking the cladding off will leave visible bracket mounting holes....has anyone removed these? Does it leave a mess of visible holes? thx

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
This photo may show you a worst case scenario when you remove the fender flares:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..not a real flattering look...but "honest" use ...thx..My '99 is pretty clean..likely won't have the rust problem..wonder what I could use to cover the holes..some rubber adhesive molding?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I specifically spent months looking for a vehicle with fender flares.

After I checked it for rust where there was not a spec visible. Drove it 12 hrs back from Dallas.

Once I had it, I took flares off to check for any surprises. Thankfully it was clean. Cleaned area dust and polished it and put the flares back on. I am good for 10 years !!!

Only holes were in the wheel well to screw them on. Not on the PAINTED BODY.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for reply..what year...Toyota Part Dept. guy said that there was cladding under the flares to hold them on..sounds like you didn't find that true..

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't remember seeing anything like that and as you can see from the pic above, most of the holes are from the rust only.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like the ugliness is the rust but do see 6 bolt holes..on my 99 can see wheel well bolts/screws....may just have to see for myself..just worried if there are clips etc. that they won't be as tight 2nd time..

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
There was a steel mount above the wheel well lip on my 99 4 door, it was rusted badly so I removed it and replaced it with a strip of aluminum. Thankfully the rust had not spread to the body. Also the only mounting holes on mine were on the wheel well lip.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Do you still have those wheel flares? I'm looking for a set-- thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Auto Wrecker meaning...?

[/QUOTE]...auto wrecker should have them..[/QUOTE]
By "auto wrecker" you mean...?
You're talking about a Pick-n-Pull or junk yard, or do you have a link?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a place that buys wrecked cars for parts..called wrecking yards or google used auto parts, auto junk yards ,in your area..might find one that specializes in toyota parts..shouldn't be too hard..

·
Registered
488 Posts
bobbo1946
Thanks. I found a "Toyota Salvage" yard nearby, will check it out tomorrow!
Well done Mate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+used+toyota+parts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

lot of rav 4 in portland, likely less in tx..http://www.usedautopartsdealers.com/state/oregon/mazda_toyota_auto_recycling.php

last time i was there, yr or so ago..think they had some on cars in their lot..likely ship or talk to a local shop to find and order for you ..good luck PIAP | Home

also this place..but there has to be something closer than pdx..https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maz-Toy-Auto-Recycling/117403721652946

1 - 14 of 14 Posts