Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from doing some research ... to remove the front passenger seat on my 07 Rav4, i will have to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, then unbolt the 4 bolts then disconnect the connectors from under the seat. My question is ... can i reconnect the negative battery terminal and drive the car with the passenger seat removed? I need to buy some 2x4s and i cant fit them inside the car without having the passenger seat removed. I am concerned that the airbag will deploy when i reconnect the battery. Please advise. Thanks

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems if you follow that procedure. Too many people work on their RAV without disconnecting the battery and end up blowing fuses and popping airbags. Re-connecting the battery with the seat removed should not cause a problem. You will probably get an airbag light since the computer can't detect the airbags in the seat, but that won't affect the operation of the other airbags and should go away when you re-install the seat. Also, after removing the seat, secure the connectors on the floorboard with tape to keep them from shorting against anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for your reply JuneBug .... I called Toyota before i posted the question here and they told me to not remove the seat for liability reasons. thats kind of dumb in my opinion.

I trust in what moderator june bug said, but can anyone else confirm the airbag wont deploy if i follow the procedure i wrote? just for peace of mind.

Thanks alot .... this is a great forum!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Fuse, don't know where you're buying your 2x4s from, but if it happens to be Home Depot, why not just grab one of their 19 bucks for an hour or so rental trucks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuse, don't know where you're buying your 2x4s from, but if it happens to be Home Depot, why not just grab one of their 19 bucks for an hour or so rental trucks?
THanks for the tip, ravenuer, i am buying them from Menards then going to my folks place to cut them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts