Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the upper console to finish installing my auto dimming mirror. Any ideas on how this is done? Nothing in the owners manual tells me how to do this... I don't even know how you you go in replacing the lights up there :?:

P

·
0 Posts
I hope you tell us the mirror has a connection there in the dome light

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
purduealum91 said:
I hope you tell us the mirror has a connection there in the dome light
It doesn't* :( Console came off easy once I knew I wasn't going to break it. Had the threat of my wife killing me if I broke her new RAV.

Good news is that it wasn't too hard to wire up the mirror once I figured which wires to tap into... Works like a champ.

*I couldn't find anything to direct connect into. There were some other plug ins though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Johnny said:
I need to remove the upper console to finish installing my auto dimming mirror. Any ideas on how this is done? Nothing in the owners manual tells me how to do this... I don't even know how you you go in replacing the lights up there :?:

Hi...
I just installed my mirror with an overhead console. I used a claw hammer VERY gently. Took 10 seconds. Good luck...
the m0ng00se

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
m0ng00se said:
Johnny said:

Hi...
I just installed my mirror with an overhead console. I used a claw hammer VERY gently. Took 10 seconds. Good luck...
the m0ng00se
LOL What do you use to brush your teeth? Barbed wire? :lol: Actually you remind me of my dad, he could do just about anything with some wire, locking pliers and a 2X4. :wink: Genetically, I inherited none of that. I'm totally useless.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just tried this using the following tools, since I don't have an official panel removal tool:

Small swiss army knife flat screwdriver...not terribly effective.
Plastic cooking spatula/turner. This got in there no problem, but didn't have the strength to do much but act as a starting tool to get something thicker in.
"Mygrant Glass pry tool" I actually don't know what this is for...but after a servicing at the dealership, I found it in the center console. It's a synthetic apparent pry tool, about 8" long, with different shaped ends for prying into larger or smaller openings.

With the mygrant tool, I could pry the panel down maybe 1/4", but it really didn't feel like it was going to come loose before tearing apart. Eventually, I realized I could flex the headliner up enough to simply stick my fingers between the headliner and panel, but I was prying so hard, my fingertips still hurt, and I didn't get a single clip loose. Is there some trick...or do I just need gloves and to pull harder?

Anyone know what a replacement costs if I break the panel?

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,486 Posts
Just stick your fingers back in there and pull down sharply. Like another forum member said, the whole interior of the car is snapped together like LEGOS!

·
Registered
214 Posts
How do I remove the whole roof to install overhead dvd?
It is not necessary to remove the entire headliner. Just cut a hole the size of your dvd bracket, screw it to the roof beam, and voila!

For the wires, it's a different story, but not that difficult! :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Map light / front console pictures - 2008 base model

Hi,

With help from this site and forum, I removed the map light/front console and took some pics. Might help others.

Notice a couple of the white fasteners (diagonal from each other) are stuck in the metal.

Dave

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,486 Posts
Hi,

With help from this site and forum, I removed the map light/front console and took some pics. Might help others.

Notice a couple of the white fasteners (diagonal from each other) are stuck in the metal.

Dave
Thanks for the pictures, Dave! Mine did the same thing when I removed it. Just pull out those white fasteners and insert them into the slots in the console.

·
Registered
82 Posts
bump

·
Registered
2 Posts
map light wires

Hi,

Dave
Could you tell me which one is positive/negative

·
Registered
2 Posts
Map light wiring

Hi,

Dave
which one is positve ?
thank you
Duong

1 - 20 of 29 Posts