Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Repair Estimate Feedback

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ravenuer 
#1 ·
Hi all -

New here, but am excited to join a community of fellow Rav4 enthusiasts!!

I am a proud owner of a 2012 and recently took it in for a post 100k mile checkup.
The mechanic recommended the following services and I am seeking input for what a good price estimate would be for the services + any additional feedback or wisdom.

Upper radiator hose leak, recommending new hose
Brake fluid flush
Transmission service
Spark plug service
Top engine decarb service

#2 ·
I4 or V6?

#4 · (Edited)
Most of these you can DIY with a help of your friend Youtube.

You can do your own brake fluid flush. Toyota won't do the time consuming brake flush using the bleeder valve. I am sure they will take the short cut and siphon the brake fluid out. You can save your money and do the quick trick of soaking the old fluid with a paper towel and filling the reservoir. This gets most of the old brake fluid. Just note brake fluid can eat your paint so don't spill it on your car.

Spark plug are very easy for the 4 cylinder and especially on this car which is mounted at the top of the valve cover.

Top engine decarb. Possibly cleaning the throttle body? A can of throttle body spray will do the job with some clean rags.

Transmission service is really a drain and fill. You can DIY. Just remove the transmission drain bolt and fill with Toyota WS ATF back up using the transmission dip stick. It uses 4 quarts or so. You will need a 10mm hex socket and long breaker bar. Just ensure you tap the hex in with a hammer. Rust will make the hex not go all the way into the hole and you end up rounding it.

#5 ·
Hi all -

New here, but am excited to join a community of fellow Rav4 enthusiasts!!

I am a proud owner of a 2012 and recently took it in for a post 100k mile checkup.
The mechanic recommended the following services and I am seeking input for what a good price estimate would be for the services + any additional feedback or wisdom.
Upper radiator hose leak, recommending new hose
Brake fluid flush
Transmission service
Spark plug service
Top engine decarb service
I'm assuming you're a new owner with no idea what services have been done? Go on toyota.com/owners, put in the VIN and you'll see any service that's been done by a dealer(if any). That may help you decide. Your owners manual lists the services that should be done at certain miles. Pretty much go by that. Radiator hose should certainly be done. If the engine runs fine and gets normal gas mileage, I wouldn't worry about the decarb service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.