Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The night time temps have begun to dip below freezing. Driving home on the highway the other night wife comments that there is cold air blowing on her through the glove box. I go to inspect and remove the glove box. Looks like a mouse had tried to make a next in the cabin air filter. We had some mice issues this summer which I think we have resolved since. They however chewed up a small section of foam. I am wondering if this is what is leaking cold air. Right now I have that part taped up. Wonder though what is the purpose and if it was some kind of 1 way vent. From what I have found it doesn't appear to be. Also the direction of airflow is down so if the tape become dislodged it will not go into the blower fan right?

Here is a picture of the offending part that I found on the web. Mine is missing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is it just the cabin filter cover door that you're missing (the part that shows "up and L" on it)? I saw that this is an orderable part by itself when I was looking into how to replace my blower motor last night if so. I think it was about $3.50 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No that foam piece right above the door. I just tapped it up but wondering why toyota chose to use a thin section of foam rather than just plastic ducting through out. Wondering what benefits the OG design has over tape.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Is it just the cabin filter cover door that you're missing (the part that shows "up and L" on it)? I saw that this is an orderable part by itself when I was looking into how to replace my blower motor last night if so. I think it was about $3.50 plus shipping.

IEDesign, you don’t happen to have the site or part number handy for that door do you? Mine was also eaten by a furry squatter, and although tape could work, I’d prefer to restore it to original condition. I tried searching several Toyota parts sites, and even my dealer couldn’t (or wouldn’t, you never know) order just the door. Thanks for anything you can offer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
MrPulldown I have a 2015 Rav4 and the old OEM filter showed the arrow pointing up. I was surprised to see that mice had attacked my AC filter, and besides chewing the filter, they also damaged the small one-way air flap seen above the removable door in your picture. My Rav4 is always in the garage and there are several mice traps around the garage with only an occasional mouse caught. I would like to replace the air flap but I have not seen it listed separately and I am not interested in buying a whole heater blower assembly just for a $2 part. I made a temporary flap repair using the home insulation product Tyvex. This last year my Rav4 has become my Sunday vehicle so it does stay a lot in the garage not used daily.

If anyone knows how to order this small flap please let me know.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 22.3k miles

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MrPulldown I have a 2015 Rav4 and the old OEM filter showed the arrow pointing up. I was surprised to see that mice had attacked my AC filter, and besides chewing the filter, they also damaged the small one-way air flap seen above the removable door in your picture. My Rav4 is always in the garage and there are several mice traps around the garage with only an occasional mouse caught. I would like to replace the air flap but I have not seen it listed separately and I am not interested in buying a whole heater blower assembly just for a $2 part. I made a temporary flap repair using the home insulation product Tyvex. This last year my Rav4 has become my Sunday vehicle so it does stay a lot in the garage not used daily.

If anyone knows how to order this small flap please let me know.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 22.3k miles
The filter is installed wrong. For some reason toyota installed all these filters the wrong way. I think the installers think that the arrow is an "UP" arrow and not a flow direction arrow. Pretty sure the flow goes down.

I have looked for the part number, but have not seen that little bit of material for sale. If you are opposed to using duct tape to fix the ducting, you might be able to find that foam material at the hareware or craft shop and duplicate it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As mentioned in the site "Paul's Travel Pictures" for the AC filter replacement, some filters have an "Air Flow" arrow which should point down and the OEM filter has "UP Orientation" arrow. I do believe the airflow is down due to all the debris on the top of the filter like all my other cars.
My repair with that Tyvek flap should last the life of the car.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD

·
Registered
165 Posts
That piece of foam flap acts like a bypass by allowing the incoming air to mix with cabin air. This is mostly in cold weather area where the incoming frigid air are being warm up slightly by mixing with inside cabin air. I find it a hassle on a few occasion when I needed just outside air to clear the windshield. In the end I just took a strip of aluminium adhesive tape ( those used to seal HVAC duct joint) and close the bypass forever. Since then, never had any problem with foggy windows on cold frigid days.

I also electrically disable the Auto Air Conditioning ON feature whenever you select front windshield defrost. Don't need the AC running in -30C winter when all I want is heat.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
So the $0.01 fix seems to be working! With duct tape over the hole instead of the flap, I’ve noticed a sharp drop in the humidity level in the RAV. When using the tape, make sure you don’t overlap with the blend door at the top of the airbox. Otherwise, works like a charm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts