Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to make a nice dent abut the size of a football in the drivers rear under the taillight. Backed into a mailbox :frown But the whole thing was like "push-in dent". Not even a scratch in the paint. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, that whole area is double-wall metal with no inside access. No way to "push" the dent back out. Before i give up and head to the body shop, i thought i would see if anyone has ever fixed something like this and HOW?
I almost cant believe it was that easy to create the dent, (just a slow reverse, hit mailbox pole, stopped and then pulled away) yet the van is so well made that there i no way to 'correct it' If i could find a way to push that same location from the inside, it would pop back out I am sure. It would likely have some wrinkles but the sight of it now every day is to o much to bear.
A body shop may be in my near future.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Look into PDR, or paintless dent repair. There are many companies that do this. They will enter the panel with special tools and push the dent up from inside, as you were thinking. They also use glue-pulling, which works quite well -- they use special tools with super strong hot glue to pull the dents from the outside if they can't get into the inside.
The major advantage of PDR over the conventional body shop is that there will be no drilling (as you would have to do to use a slide hammer), and therefore no Bondo and no painting. From what you are describing, a good PDR technician should able to remedy that dent in an hour and charge maybe $100 (at least in my area).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many thanks for that
i did not know such a things existed though i did know that body shops use those special suction cups.
In searching today i ran across everything from filling water into that area and freezing it with dry ice.
(the water when freezing to ice expands to push out the dent ... i bet!)
to some others hat sounded a bit dangerous using air pressure after sealing that area with liquid latex.
I think the suction cups sounds more reasonable and I will research the term you used PDR. Maybe there is one in the neighborhood.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
The area behind what you can see is the crush zone and it only works once. Even if the surface is pulled back out the area beneath is still likely crushed. You might want to check with a few body shops first. There might be more repairs than meets the eye.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Agree with RTexasF. I had a very small dent in that area and because of the nature of the metal I had to take my RAV to a body shop. They did an excellent job, but the cost was $500! Ouch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts