Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fabric portion of the cover on my '07 is rotting away. (Sunlight at 7500' will do that to plastics/fabrics/paints.) The elastic has no give, the fabric has torn in two places, and is brittle all over. Is there any way to replace/repair this? Or is the solution a new cover? Will the hard-shell cover from a Limited fit on a non-Limited vehicle?

I wonder did Toyota ship only one size cover. That would explain why folks like me with 225s find it impossible to remove or put back, while others find it flying off on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
10,920 Posts
I'd say a new cover is the answer. The hard shell cover from a Limited has a fastener at the bottom which yours does not have along with alignment pieces of plastic. If your spare is oversize then it's questionable if any cover will fit. Leave it bare with one or more locking nuts.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Go with a new or used hard cover. The new ones are quite expensive. If you get the one made for the Limited you need to buy the inside piece to make it fit but the half hard ones are plug and play.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Also suggest getting a new cover even though they are pricey. If you do make certain that it fits before leaving the dealership or wherever it was purchased. Seems that Toyota did make different sized covers for gen. 3 models. Mine almost requires C4 or similar explosive to remove it from the spare. Not too bad for me but if my wife had a flat while driving and was out of AAA help phone range she probably would not be able to remove it by herself.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My 2010's cover is starting to get worn/tired. When it does bite the dust, instead of trying to get one that fits I'll probably just let it go naked! It's got a locking nut on it, but it's an original tire on a steelie so probably not going to draw too much attention.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You can find upholstery shops in the area that can fix it.
The newer covers have a zipper portion that make it easy.
They are one-size fits all. I have no issue getting it on my 225s
Used ones are all over e-bay- kind of pricey.
You can also just get a generic. Maybe with Yosemite Sam saying "back off". Or the sexy lady silhouette. Or just plain black.

I have a spare tire mounted bike rack. So I the summer I remove the spare tire cover, as the rack mounts would require me to cut a hole in the middle of the cover. But I want to protect the spare tire since I do not do a 5 tire rotation and that spare will be there for years. Sun really kills rubber. I bought a black cover. Nylon, would I have gone vinyl. The nylon material has already been sun faded and is grey on top. Just goes to show how much the sun can damage your tire.

In the winter I remove the bike rack and reinstall the OEM cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts