Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having hesitation when accelerating in my 2003 RAV4 when it is cold. I have replaced plugs, coils, and cleaned MAF sensor - and no change. It is worse when it is cold, and once it is warm, it drives fine with no hesitation. I’ve read the ignition harness/wiring maybe the cause (I think this is the correct term - the wiring attached to the coils). But I have been unable to find any video or pics of how to do this on my model. And it did not seem straight forward when I looked at the wiring. I searched the forum but could not find a similar post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do you have any CEL codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - thanks
P0300 - Random Multiple Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
P0430 - Catalyst System Effeciency Below Threshold Bank 2

Tim

·
Registered
432 Posts
Does your cold hesitation acts like a misfire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure. It starts fine, and then idles a little rough. It doesn’t feel like a misfire, more like a lag, like no power. Then it will “kick in”. After you slow down it might do it again. Today it died sitting at a stop sign. Once restarted (which is never a problem), it seems to run fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There were some issues with the ignition units (not sure whether it is the correct expression) sitting on top of the plug. Had to replace one already as well. Leads to instable engine running behaviour.

Regards

Gerald

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having hesitation when accelerating in my 2003 RAV4 when it is cold. I have replaced plugs, coils, and cleaned MAF sensor - and no change. It is worse when it is cold, and once it is warm, it drives fine with no hesitation. I’ve read the ignition harness/wiring maybe the cause (I think this is the correct term - the wiring attached to the coils). But I have been unable to find any video or pics of how to do this on my model. And it did not seem straight forward when I looked at the wiring. I searched the forum but could not find a similar post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you replace the ignition/spark plug wires? If so did it fix the problem. Believe I’m having the same issues, trying to get to the bottom of it. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had problems recently with mine dying as I slowed to stop, or dying when it was idling cold. I replaced the idle air control valve, and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
2003 Rav 4
32 Posts
there are plugs and individual coils for each cylinder - and the wiring harness supplying power to the coils.

some reading material on P420/430 codes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts