Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The automatic A/C control dials (3 of them) are very cumbersome. I'd prefer manual A/C controls.

Is it possible to replace them with the Base models'?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You could switch them, but it would be very costly...one of the reasons I don't like the limited...I also hate the push button start LOL...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
The automatic A/C control dials (3 of them) are very cumbersome. I'd prefer manual A/C controls.

Is it possible to replace them with the Base models'?
When I first got mine, I hated it. I had never had a car with automatic climate control. But then I stopped fighting it and just put it on auto and selected the temperature. I've found that 95% of the time it works perfectly. If I'm hot, I lower the temp, if I'm cold, I raise the temp. When it's running the heater, it sends air to the lower vents. When the sun hits the sensor, it will send some cooler air out the upper vents. When it gets hot enough, it will send cold air out the upper vents. When in A/C mode and the sensor detects sunlight, it will automatically increase the fan speed. It's a very good system if you give it a chance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disabled some of the auto controls through a mini-VCI cable because I hated the fact it turned on the fan full blast and A/C when I pressed Auto. It seems "Auto" is the only way to turn it on at all. Now I never turn it off because I don't want it to forget where I last set it.

Still, the temperature number listed means nothing. I just assume Low/65 and High/85 is basically 0 - 20 in my mind, and pretend it's a manual control the best I can. AUTO also never gets where I want the air to go correctly. If a window needs defrosting, I manually put it there, as always. Seems I have to fight with it until I turn off Auto. Stupid.

But if it can't be changed, it can't be changed. I'll deal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm with JuneBug. If you just leave it on AUTO and let it do its thing, it's a very good system. Much better than the Mercury Mariner I had before this.

My wife is constantly overriding the controls on her CR-V and I hate that. When I ride in her car, I put it back on AUTO and see if she can tell the difference. Usually, not.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm the type that likes to ride with one or more windows rolled down (even in the winter)...the automated system always tries to compensate but just can't...i run low fan speed, full hot temp and direction either 50/50 floor/defrost or 75 floor/25 defrost...takes me all of 3 seconds (if that) to make adjustments depending on outside temp, my speed, weather conditions and various other factors...while i like the dual zone in the limited (my wife cooks me out all the time) I have never been satisfied with auto systems...

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
WHY? Is it malfunctioning?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm with JuneBug. If you just leave it on AUTO and let it do its thing, it's a very good system. Much better than the Mercury Mariner I had before this.

My wife is constantly overriding the controls on her CR-V and I hate that. When I ride in her car, I put it back on AUTO and see if she can tell the difference. Usually, not.
If you lived in Cleveland, that wouldn't work. On very cold days, you need to turn it up to Max until the car gets warm, then back down again. Just takes longer with buttons than a dial. To ME, it serves no purpose and takes longer to operate being automatic.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
If you lived in Cleveland, that wouldn't work. On very cold days, you need to turn it up to Max until the car gets warm, then back down again. Just takes longer with buttons than a dial. To ME, it serves no purpose and takes longer to operate being automatic.
Nope, that is incorrect. If it's 30F outside, changing to MAX will not warm up the interior any faster than setting the temp on 72F. It will automatically go to MAX by itself, and as the inside temp approaches 72, it will automatically lower the fan speed to maintain 72.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Nope, that is incorrect. If it's 30F outside, changing to MAX will not warm up the interior any faster than setting the temp on 72F. It will automatically go to MAX by itself, and as the inside temp approaches 72, it will automatically lower the fan speed to maintain 72.
Agreed. Drove the wife's RAV4 today and altho it wasn't very cold (50F) it reminded me of one of the best features of Auto Climate Control. It won't blow cold air when you want heat, instead waits for the engine to heat up then gradually turns the blower speed up. I set it on 74 and the blower got to at least 3/4 max in a few minutes then tapered off.
On both the RAV4 and Accord it saves "testing" with the blower switch and my hand in front of the dash to find out if the engine is producing heat yet. IMO, ACC is sooo much better than manual I'll probably never buy another car w/o it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even if it is NOT on Auto? I don't like Auto because the fan goes full blast.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Even if it is NOT on Auto? I don't like Auto because the fan goes full blast.
No, if the engine is cold, the fan won't run at all. When the engine starts warming up, the fan will gradually start blowing warm air. It only goes full blast if you turn on Defrost.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i installed a remote starter so my ride is never cold when i get in it...however before i did that i would start it up and after about 3 minutes or so of driving i would have heat...also i dont know if the limited model has a temp gauge or not, but in my experience once the temp needle starts to move up...BAM!!! you got heat lol...to each their own for sure, but i never have liked the auto controls when i have had them...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts