Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XLE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I've recently lost the 3 button key to my 2014 RAV4 at the gym. It's been a week and I think all hope is lost. Is there a way for me to replace and program this on my own? I was hoping not to spend an arm and a leg on this as I imagine these are pricey. Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unfortunately I've recently lost the 3 button key to my 2014 RAV4 at the gym. It's been a week and I think all hope is lost. Is there a way for me to replace and program this on my own? I was hoping not to spend an arm and a leg on this as I imagine these are pricey. Thanks!
Do a search for techstream(hear or on the web) and you should be able to answer your questions. I haven't needed to do it so I can't guide you through it. I assume it is similar to the below link, but with a key.

Mini VCI Tecshtream Program Key on Toyota Rav4 2016 | OBDII365.com Official Blog

Tech stream/cable will run you around $20 and I believe an uncut key with chip is around $40-$60. When buying the key, make sure that the FCC ID on the back of your spare matches the one that you are purchasing.

Other than that, I can't really help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine comes with 2 x 3 buttons keys. You lost both?

In order to duplicate a key by the techstream software, you need at least one original key.

·
Registered
2021 XLE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! Thankfully I just got a message from someone at my gym and she found my key in her bag. I at least had a spare to get me through but I'm glad to know there are other options.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought three new key fobs from a local lock smith, just because stuff happens like loosing your key at the gym. They were $129 each plus $35 each to cut the mechanical key and $65 to program the first one and $10 for the second or about 1/2 the dealer price. You can only have 4 key fobs programmed at once. Thus I have a spare un-programmed fob.

The way that it works is that the fobs have a unique identifier number programed into them. You "teach" your car's computer to recognize the fobs. When you add a key you have to have all of your key fobs as the car, in theory, forgets all of the keys that were previously programmed.

One interesting thing that happened was that the mechanical keys were all 0.008" two wide and would not fit into the lock. The locksmith had to file them down so that they would fit. I guess that is why they were sold on the aftermarket even though they were Toyota manufactured fobs.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I bought three new key fobs from a local lock smith, just because stuff happens like loosing your key at the gym. They were $129 each plus $35 each to cut the mechanical key and $65 to program the first one and $10 for the second or about 1/2 the dealer price. You can only have 4 key fobs programmed at once. Thus I have a spare un-programmed fob.

The way that it works is that the fobs have a unique identifier number programed into them. You "teach" your car's computer to recognize the fobs. When you add a key you have to have all of your key fobs as the car, in theory, forgets all of the keys that were previously programmed.

One interesting thing that happened was that the mechanical keys were all 0.008" two wide and would not fit into the lock. The locksmith had to file them down so that they would fit. I guess that is why they were sold on the aftermarket even though they were Toyota manufactured fobs.
You could have bought the keys from ebay and used TECHSTREAM to program them yourself MUCH CHEAPER!

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92843-adding-extra-key-using-techstream.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
It could be that in the end I save $50 but the keys on ebay that I found were $150. I am not all that into buying off of ebay anymore. Going to a second source it like replacemyremote.com they were $180, and I still would have to get the key cut.

Also there was a fear of screwing up the programming of my key or car using bootlegged software.

BTW I can also save money by changing my own oil, which I stopped doing about 30 years ago.

·
Registered
113 Posts
H chip key are around $40 on ebay.

Replacement Key for 2013-2015 Toyota Rav4 2014-2016 Prius C V Remote Fob H Chip | eBay

The software and the cable is less than $20.

It could be that in the end I save $50 but the keys on ebay that I found were $150. I am not all that into buying off of ebay anymore. Going to a second source it like replacemyremote.com they were $180, and I still would have to get the key cut.

Also there was a fear of screwing up the programming of my key or car using bootlegged software.

BTW I can also save money by changing my own oil, which I stopped doing about 30 years ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There you go that is the disconnect. I have a keyless proximity fob option. On ebay the only one that is listed that has an un-cut key is $150.

I did look around and the cheapest I could find a new one was at the local lock shop for $129. Plus with the interior cut keys on the proximity fob option I still would have to pay someone to cut the key.

Technet software is way more expensive than $20. Yes, the bootleg copy is free. Key crackers tend to not usually make it through the firewall to my computers. My kids used to infect them with viruses using crackers from time to time and I would have to rebuild them. I may try it one day and stick it on one of my old laptops where I do not care if it gets a virus.

In the mean time I paid an extra $35 to buy two NEW fobs and have them programed. I ended up paying about half as much as going to a dealer. While I was at it I supported a local small business and did not have to worry about screwing up my new car.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I too had apprehensions on the free versions of Techstream that can be downloaded or come with OBDII interface cables, I've been repairing PCs for almost 20yrs and the infections that come with the bootleg Techstream may or may not be real. I've had them detected by more than one antivirus, but not all, so they may be real or just false positives. I've used two versions, one came on a CD, the other downloaded and they both worked on my two 4.4 Rav4s and my wife's '15 Prius, installed on a dedicated WinXP and later a Win7 32bit laptop, there are many threads here on this topic with many, many users, I've not read of any issues of their use other than install problems on 64bit machines, once installed they work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts