Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,
So, the wifey calls me this afternoon and says her muffler fell off...hmm, ok, I figure it's in the same spot as a friend's RAV had the problem with, around the middle of the system.

Go to help her our and sure enough, same spot.

So I look into getting a replacement park, Toyota wants $640 or so...gak...has anyone put an aftermarket part on that fit properly here? This is the intermediate cat, infront of the center pipe with the resonator, but after the A pipe...

Links? Prices?

Thanks,
Bogatyr

·
Registered
432 Posts
If your state doesn't do emission checks, I'd suggest just a straight pipe like I have. Otherwise get a universal high flow and have the shop put that on with the connecting pipes. It is not worth paying Toyota that much. Ask mensajero how much he paid for his. I believe he got it from summit racing, or even ask the muffler shop (but they'll probably stab ya with the price)

Also, no aftermarket manufacturer has this pipe, so you can rule that one out. :(

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bogatyr said:
Good afternoon,
So, the wifey calls me this afternoon and says her muffler fell off...hmm, ok, I figure it's in the same spot as a friend's RAV had the problem with, around the middle of the system.

Go to help her our and sure enough, same spot.

So I look into getting a replacement park, Toyota wants $640 or so...gak...has anyone put an aftermarket part on that fit properly here? This is the intermediate cat, infront of the center pipe with the resonator, but after the A pipe...

Links? Prices?

Thanks,
Bogatyr
take it to a custom muffler shop, i guarantee that it will be a lot easier on your pocket

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is the problem the same one that's covered in this TSB by any chance?

http://rav4world.com/tsb/EG006-98.pdf

My muffler on my '96 fell off going over railroad tracks (not even rough ones!) maybe a year or so after I got her. Mine was covered by the TSB and replaced free, but that would've been within the 3 years stated in the TSB.

However, didn't Toyota extend the warranty on the exhaust system to 10 years? Could you possibly argue that the work should be done free?

Becky

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies.

I initially investigated that Bosal pipe as I followed a link, from a while back I think...but the problem is that the break in my system is before that longer pipe, which is called the center pipe. My break is in the secondary cat pipe...forward of the center pipe.

Unfortunately for me, we do have a tailpipe emissions test on post 1996 vehicles in NY now...so I don't think putting a straight pipe in there will help me out...but the interesting thing is that there are no o2 sensors on either side of this cat...hmm...so it really is secondary...

I do appear to have that damper in place on the pipe, so it seems as though that TSB was taken care of at some point in the vehicle's life.

Heck, 8 years and 111k miles really isn't that bad on an exhaust pipe in the northeast...

But yep, more research to do, thanks again for the replies.

Bogatyr

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone tell me why the exhaust for a 97 Rav 4 will not fit a 98? Bosal does have a great sale on right now but state for the 96-97 model year.

Thanks Folks.

Brent

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up ordering the part from convertergeek.com...we'll see how this goes.

I think the reason that the 98 takes a different exhaust is specifically this secondary cat setup. I'll bet the 98 and newer vehicles don't have this, so the center pipe would have to be longer to get from the A pipe back to the tailpipe and muffler...call it a middle cycle redesign based on a problem addressed in a TSB...

Bogatyr

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, installation was pretty easy and the convertergeek.com part matched up perfectly...it even didn't have the heatshields which, IMO, are notorious for collecting salt and crap and which hasten the demise of these pipes...

The only tough part was one of the bolts coming off the front pipe...had to break out the air powered cutoff wheel and off she came...good deal. I made sure to anti-seize everything when assembling...so far so good...

Bogatyr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts