Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know what is needed to replace the manual driver's seat in an XLE with a powered seat from another XLE? I have wiring under my manual seat but do not know if it's the right ones.
Also, from what I understand only the seat cushion part is replaced, not the recliner, does that sound correct?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to my own post here in case someone else is interested: Just got a quote from the local Toyota dealer of $7.000 plus the cost of the seat. Which I suppose is a nice way of saying "nope we're not interested in doing that, please leave us alone".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, does anyone know what is needed to replace the manual driver's seat in an XLE with a powered seat from another XLE? I have wiring under my manual seat but do not know if it's the right ones.
Also, from what I understand only the seat cushion part is replaced, not the recliner, does that sound correct?
It can be done if your wire harness is the same as a higher trim. My Rav4 Adventure comes with the wiring for the central cubby light as many others and while installing that useless light I noticed it’s wired for the equally pointless wireless charger pad.

Take a good look at your under seat wiring and snap some pictures of the orphan connector you found. Go to a dealership and check out one in your trim with the tech package. You’ll easily notice which wire is missing on yours and that would be the one you’ll want to attach to your existing harness, if equipped and same connector. Seat removal is pretty straightforward with a few bolts holding the rails in place after disconnecting the harness plugs

Dealers won’t go and add features that you didn’t buy from factory. It’s a liability for them were things to fail. If you can source the part from a wrecked Rav you’ll save yourself some money.

I have powered driver seat and thinking of retrofitting another driver seat as a powered passenger by tapping into the harness plug on the driver and running the wires to the new “passenger” side... if I can find the darn seat for cheap.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It can be done if your wire harness is the same as a higher trim. My Rav4 Adventure comes with the wiring for the central cubby light as many others and while installing that useless light I noticed it’s wired for the equally pointless wireless charger pad.

Take a good look at your under seat wiring and snap some pictures of the orphan connector you found. Go to a dealership and check out one in your trim with the tech package. You’ll easily notice which wire is missing on yours and that would be the one you’ll want to attach to your existing harness, if equipped and same connector. Seat removal is pretty straightforward with a few bolts holding the rails in place after disconnecting the harness plugs

Dealers won’t go and add features that you didn’t buy from factory. It’s a liability for them were things to fail. If you can source the part from a wrecked Rav you’ll save yourself some money.

I have powered driver seat and thinking of retrofitting another driver seat as a powered passenger by tapping into the harness plug on the driver and running the wires to the new “passenger” side... if I can find the darn seat for cheap.
Been wanting to do that in mine too. Just have to find a driver seat in the same trim and all but right hand drive so that it looks factory. Not sure how I'm gonna get that though lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been wanting to do that in mine too. Just have to find a driver seat in the same trim and all but right hand drive so that it looks factory. Not sure how I'm gonna get that though lol.
You don’t necessarily have to get a RH driver seat; just need to relocate the wiring and buttons to the Right side. If you want a full factory look you’d only need to source the panel and some of the seat buttons (ie back rear and base). Everything else can be clocked to operate in the proper direction.

🤔 now I really want to get this project going. Let’s see if I can find a seat...

Update: found some wrecked Limited seats with heat and ventilation. Not cheap but manageable. seeing their pictures reminds me of the airbag. That’s a major complication and may require some grafting and fabrication to make this all work. Unless, of course we go with @GKlein13 idea of using a Japanese spec driver seat 😅. I’m thinking a pair of Highlander seats would be a better bet sourcing-wise if the rails and dimensions are a near match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts