Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version of a long story: a month ago a friend who borrowed my RAV4 filled it up with diesel (yes I know it is impossible he managed :)
Anyway, it happened far from home so we had the car towed to a local mechanic who dropped the tank, cleaned the system and replaced fuel pump.

The car ran fine so we drove it back to Dallas. It worked for a week and it wouldn't start at a gas station.
Towed it to a mechanic where ... it started w/o problem. Could the shaking during towing fix the issue? The mechanic held it for a couple of days, claimed to have reproduced the issue and fix... a loose hose (his words).

Then we drove it back to Dallas, it worked for a couple of days and now it would not start again. The starter sounds strong, it turns over the engine many times but the engine would not start. It does have the symptoms of not getting any fuel.

I know diesel can cause a lot of damage. The fuel pump is new. The fuel pump relay is okay, I assume, otherwise it would cause the car to stall while driving. The issue happens only when the car is parked and turned off.
Any ideas what can cause this kind of intermittent startup issue?

SR1

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I don't know what your particular problem is, but I'd love to know how you can put a large-diameter diesel fuel nozzle into a small-diameter gas filler nozzle. Seems like your friend would have to take extraordinary measures to accomplish that.
Good luck in getting your car fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what your particular problem is, but I'd love to know how you can put a large-diameter diesel fuel nozzle into a small-diameter gas filler nozzle. Seems like your friend would have to take extraordinary measures to accomplish that.
Good luck in getting your car fixed.
My only theory is that it was a small town gas station that installed a regular gas nozzle for diesel too. The station is 100 miles from my house I am not curious enough to drive there and prove my theory :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts