Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cryingI have a serious, and self made problem with my 97 Rav4. The hood latch broke. I got another one and replaced it. I failed to test it before I shut the hood. It seems I did not install the release cable correctly and now I can't open the hood. I have tried removing the plastic shields and tried to reach up underneath it but could not locate the release mechanism. I removed the grill and tried to get at it that way without any luck.

Is there anyway I can get the hood open without cutting a hole in the hood...and will that work? If so, where should I make the cut. I can always put some sort of air scoop on the hood to cover the hole.

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
I'd suggest looking at another 4.1 with the hood open to figure out how to unlatch yours with it closed.

·
Registered
881 Posts
:cryingI have a serious, and self made problem with my 97 Rav4. The hood latch broke. I got another one and replaced it. I failed to test it before I shut the hood. It seems I did not install the release cable correctly and now I can't open the hood. I have tried removing the plastic shields and tried to reach up underneath it but could not locate the release mechanism. I removed the grill and tried to get at it that way without any luck.

Is there anyway I can get the hood open without cutting a hole in the hood...and will that work? If so, where should I make the cut. I can always put some sort of air scoop on the hood to cover the hole.
What happens when you pull the cable? If it is hooked into the latch and you did not put it into the cable stop you may be able to get it to open by disconnecting it from the handle under the dash and yanking it out further.

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
I've tried all the suggestions given so far with no success. Thanks guys...keep them coming
Drive it to CT. My buddy has a 1998 RAV4. We'll figure it out. Will probably involve a coat hanger with some contortions bent into it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The only way I know to access it is to take the splash guard off the drivers side and use a pry bar to hit the latch, you might have to get someone to push down on the hood to take some of the strain off it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,969 Posts
I wonder if one of those pop-a-lock people could do it? Barring that, I would see if I could find one in the junkyard to study....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts