Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loved my Tesla MS and was looking forward to my MY, but just saw too many delivery issues with quality control, so I put my order on hold (permanently). Read about the Rav4 Prime, happened to find one and liked it enough to buy one on 12/31/2020. Only a day into it, but loving it, spending some time going through the books so that I can get my wife to learn how to program it so that she can become self sufficient, until she forgets how to do it.

Is there a way that I can take my 240v 50 amp NEMA plug and convert it to a connection that would work better than the standard 120v 15 amp electrical connection, that I could then use to charge the Rav4 Prime?

Nema IMG_0353 (002).jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never actually gave it a thought and that is what makes forums and people like you great. I have a spare Tesla charger (see pic) where this Lectron Adapter would fit.

Do I have to be concerned that I am coming out of 240v 50 amp with no changes other than the Tesla Charger and adapter going into the Rav4 Prime?

How much would you guess this would cut my charging time by?

Now the hunt will come for a sale price on this or equivalent unit :)

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I learned from knowing ”0” about hybrids nor level 2 chargers, yet with the help of smart folks here, I installed my JuiceBox 40 myself (easily) and the system has been working flawlessly on our R4P since.

I look forward Jorze to your reporting back as to how your extra Tesla charger works with the Lectron adapter. I expect flawlessly with no interruption in efficiency. The reason I am looking forward to learning this from your actual experience, is that when I go to my daughter’s house, she wants me to use her Tesla charger (I would buy the Lectron adapter), so our entire trip there and home is fully on electric power.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
223 Posts
Never actually gave it a thought and that is what makes forums and people like you great. I have a spare Tesla charger (see pic) where this Lectron Adapter would fit.

Do I have to be concerned that I am coming out of 240v 50 amp with no changes other than the Tesla Charger and adapter going into the Rav4 Prime?

Technically the “charger” in a vehicle is onboard. If you plug in a higher current source the car’s onboard charger will control how much it uses. Shouldn’t be a problem!

If you have an SE or XSE the charge time is around 4 hours. If you have an XSE with Premium package the charge time is around 2.5 hours.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, that was my real concern, did not want to fry anything. Placing an order today will post update. Happy New Year to all!

·
Registered
325 Posts
You can download the manual for these at the Toyota site.
Drove a model Y and it's a sports car . However I still don't like the glass roof from the
standpoint of heat and having a rack on it. Also prefer more controls.
But the Primes are still almost impossible to get.

It would be interesting to know if a Tesla charger would do other car's

·
Registered
143 Posts
Drove a model Y and it's a sports car . However I still don't like the glass roof from the

To charge another car, you would just need to buy an adapter that fits the socket on your other car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I am in SoCal, I spent over an hour going through the Toyota Dealer Inventories till I found three in stock at 2/18 dealerships. I did not really think the three would be in stock, but to my surprise they were and both dealers were small. Of course they had the standard "spiel" as to why they were marked up $4,500 and why they would absolutely not budge from that price. One of the dealers, was creative, for the markup, they would give you at no charge;
1. Toyota Wheel Locks (they valued them at 295)
2. Southwest Auto Security System (they valued it at 995)
3. Finishing Touch Paint Protection (they valued it at 995)
4. Theft Code Window Etch (they valued it at 995)
5. Madico Window Tint, 3M Door Edge & 3M Door Cup Guard (they valued it at 1295)

They also "give" every new Toyota buyer a;
Advantage non-factory new vehicle lifetime limited powertrain warranty that includes seals and gasket coverage. In addition you get 24/7/365 10 years roadside assistance, towing, flat tire change, battery service, lock-out-assistance, fuel; oil; fluid & water delivery.

I was not able to negotiate down on the Mark-Up, but I was able to deal on a few extras such as all-season Toyota floor mats. I was able to get the color I wanted (white) and the fully loaded XSE package that I was looking for. The other model they had in stock was identical with additional roof-rack and front door sills, non of which I wanted or wished to spend approx $600 more for.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anyone use the Lektron Testa to J1172 adapter and charge in the rain? Is the adapter weather rated?

BTW, since posting it above with a link to Amazon, it is $10 cheaper and free shipping on the ev-lektron site. Just with our living in Oregon, we want some ral world experience if the adapter itself is outside the rain please. I have reached out to EV-Lektron and trying to get an answer from them. When I do, I will post their response here, but wish for real world, rain dripping on it, user uinput.

Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone use the Lektron Testa to J1172 adapter and charge in the rain? Is the adapter weather rated?

BTW, since posting it above with a link to Amazon, it is $10 cheaper and free shipping on the ev-lektron site. Just with our living in Oregon, we want some ral world experience if the adapter itself is outside the rain please. I have reached out to EV-Lektron and trying to get an answer from them. When I do, I will post their response here, but wish for real world, rain dripping on it, user uinput.

Thank you.
Don't waste your money on the Lectron product, it won't work with any public Tesla chargers, they're all over 40 Amps this is rated for.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you have to call up 18 dealerships and only found 3 have to take over MSRP and travel outside a 40 mile radius I calibrate that as impossible .
May not be the exact definition of the word impossible but still..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't waste your money on the Lectron product, it won't work with any public Tesla chargers, they're all over 40 Amps this is rated for.
It will work fine with the Prime since it never draws more than 32 amps. But yeah, you have to be careful if you try to use it on a different EV/PHEV that can draw more than 40 amps. I've used one with my Prime and a Tesla 80A HPWC.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There's 0 concern with using a tesla charger on any other car, other than the need to find an adaptor that's compatible. The added benefit of using a tesla charger is that they can put out more amperage than most chargers, so you'll always know you're getting full speed regardless of what you're hooked up to. I'm shocked that the adaptor/so many on amazon cost so much. Seems an adaptor like that should only cost like 20-30 dollars....

·
Registered
17 Posts

Charging my XSE on 120 takes 12 hrs. Takes 4.5 hrs in 240.
I have the upgraded battery (XSE premium package) but don’t have a charging station, just a 240 outlet. So can’t do the 2.5 hour charge but 4.5 is fine for me.
Both 120 and 240 take exactly the same amount of kilowatts, of course 😎

·
Registered
180 Posts
There are many local electric companies which offer a partial credit or cash rebate for installing a 240 system. I chose, after input from this forum, the JuiceBox 40 plug in, priced at $599. My utility company already sent me a $250 refund check. And since it was installed prior to the end of last year, I will be getting a $180 back from the Federal government (though I am not sure this program is still good in 2021)

In my case my net cost to install the JB40 (which I did myself in 30 minutes at deliberately slow, methodical speed), will be less than literally $170. Perhaps you can do likewise. I am consistently charging from nothing to full range in exactly 2:30. In my first six weeks of using it, twice when I went out in the morning, came back for lunch and went out again shortly thereafter, the 2 hour 30 minutes charging time allowed me to fully charge before proceeding out the second time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Loved my Tesla MS and was looking forward to my MY, but just saw too many delivery issues with quality control, so I put my order on hold (permanently). Read about the Rav4 Prime, happened to find one and liked it enough to buy one on 12/31/2020. Only a day into it, but loving it, spending some time going through the books so that I can get my wife to learn how to program it so that she can become self sufficient, until she forgets how to do it.

Is there a way that I can take my 240v 50 amp NEMA plug and convert it to a connection that would work better than the standard 120v 15 amp electrical connection, that I could then use to charge the Rav4 Prime?

View attachment 161250
Please keep us updated, both on the plugs and, more importantly to me anyway, how you like the Prime after a few months. I'm very happy with my Model 3 but am also skeptical about quality issues with the Model Y and the Prime... because I read the forms.

FWIW, my 2011 RAV4 V6 is strong, if not quite as fast, and has no major quality issues, plus I won't be as upset if it gets dinged in a parking lot, assuming I'll ever go to a parking lot again. I'm still thinking of replacing it with a Y once the assembly problems are solved.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts